Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Demo

keith
keith Member Posts: 224
of the old boilers something you guys pay for or do you haul them out yourself?

Comments

• Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Cast iron....

I love to do myself!!!!! Give me a BIG sledge hammer and let me vent all my frustations!!!!!
    By lunchtime, it's history!!!
    WOW, that feels GOOD!!!!!!
    I'd never let anyone else take that much fun away from me!!!!!

Now STEEL???? That's a problem!!!!

Floyd -The Hammer
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Yo Hammer...

I don't know about you Floyd, but I've got better things to do then swinging a sledge hammer in tight quarters. Don't get me wrong, I've vaporized/pulverized my share of iron, but now I hire it out to professionals, and mark up their services. My time is better spent working ON the business than IN the business. I danced with a 420 pound steam boiler today,DOWN a flight of stairs, but it was because I had one guy out sick and another on vacay. Been there, done that, getting too old to keep doing it. Hire a hammer head.

We use a firm here, whose name shall remain a secret, 'cause every time I mention it, they get too busy for even me. They're out there. You just gotta look. Sometimes they operate under the name of Scrap Metal Dealer and such.

JMHO

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    crawling from the wreckage

Uncle Floyd:)

I'm with you!Pass me my #4 hammer and a couple of splitting wedges!I then let the junk man haul the sections to the scrap yard.

cheese
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Be careful ME

you can also get movers to place a boiler as well as remove them. Piano movers will also move heavy bulky stuff. Money well spent.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Still doin it

Me and 2 partners ripped out a 6 section Ideal today ( thanks for the name , Steamhead) . We also installed the new one. I love the days when I know theres a Repco coming out .
  • Still doin it

Me and 2 partners ripped out a 6 section Ideal today ( thanks for the name , Steamhead) . We also installed the new one. I love the days when I know theres a Repco coming out .
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909

We use B.F.I.

Brute force and ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!

We remove and dispose of all old equipment.

OUCH!!

Mark H

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    1/2 and 1/2

we pay to have some one remove the iron. Somtimes we pay them to break up and remove the boiler. We had an old pancake style last week and let them do it.

A back is a terrible thing to waste.

Where do you guys dispose of the iron ??

Scott

• keith
    save yourself for later

thats my motto. I dont do many personally any more but I do sell these jobs. I always apreciated having some one haul out the old one, set the new one in place and get rid of the packing materials. By 9:30 A:M that part is all set and I still had the energy to get the job done. Swapping out a W/M 688 next week. I hired a demo crew to yank out the old one and bring the sections in to the basement. My mechanic was doing hand stands that it wasn't his back going for the ride.
  • keith
    metal

goes straight to the junky. When we did alot ourselves we had a dumpster at the yard. The dumpster guy parked it there for free, he got the scrap $ in exchange for us getting use of his dumpster.
  • Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    old boilers

If the old boiler is a walk out, no steps and we are able to put it on a hand truck, then the installation crew does the removal. Otherwise, it's a job for the removers who procede to not be there when they say they will; who will trash the surrounding area with soot, oil, hand and foot prints; who will remove a house trap plug and not put it back; who will swear they are not making enough money for that job; who will show up mean, nasty and/or drunk. I've been in this trade for 35 years, and no matter who we call, it's still the same story, only the date has changed. Anyone know of a reliable company in NYC? Price is no object! LOL
  • Ahh yes , the 88 series

Big babys , for sure . The biggest boiler we installed was a Weil 1288 , and we also torched out the old steel monster that was in there . My old boss was amazing - he bought the torches and learned with no prior experience how to cut em out , right on that job. Those were the days where we used a do-rag for a mask . And we would go home looking like we came out of a coal mine .
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    in the past

I have hired a tow truck, saves my back and his. He says he throws the old boilers into a car, and lets the auto salvage place pay him for the scrap. Depending on the job, he charges from $75-$100.

Chuck Shaw

This discussion has been closed.