Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MZ boiler

Options
Doug_2
Doug_2 Member Posts: 14
Do you hold the same opinion about condensing boilers that run on gas?

Comments

• keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    Options
    MZ boiler

any experience with the oil fired version? Who's burner is used? Service friendly? Factory support? Ect. Thanks for your feedback
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

Hi Keith, If you're talking about the FCX Condensing boiler by Monitor. I can tell you they are using the pioneer oil burner made by Heat Wise, Inc. I can't say I have seen these in the field however I did have the opportunity to see them when I spent a few days with Bola Kamath in his lab in NY.

I was very impressed with everything I saw. Not to mention how fun it was to be let loose in his lab to play :)

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio
  • keith
    Options
    seems

like a cool application for oil. Wonder how they would do in a multiple boiler application? Is the supply temp max at 170 d?
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Keith

The Max temp I think is 180 °F here's the url that will take you directly to the boiler we're talking about.
    http://www.mzboiler.com/products/fcx/index.shtml

If you go to the bottom of the page you can also download manauls on the boiler and the Pioneer burner.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio
  • Doug_2
    Doug_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I am equally intrigued. Just went through the website and pdf downloads. Looks like the btu capacity is lower than Monitor's gas boilers, though. Both oil and gas models do appear to merit further attention, though. There was a recent thread about these products, I think, not sure how to find it.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Exercise in futility?

I never understood the logic in trying to produce condensing oil fired equipment. Remember the Yukon? What a nightmare that was. Apparently, no lessons were learned from that. Considering the miniscule amount of condensate available and the temperatures you have to drop exhaust to realize that condensate (105°), it hardly seems worth it for 2 or 3 points in efficiency gain. That, plus the quality of our fuel would lend itself to sulfuric acid based condensate and some lovely carbon build-up if you did manage to condense. I know of no metal, within realistic money, that could stand up that kind of corrosive environment for any length of time.

Viessmann has/is tried/trying to develop a condensing oil fired boiler, but to date, nothing worth mentioning. Mind you, they are using sulfur free fuel and blue flame technology and they still can't get it done. Offer my clients a condensing oil boiler? I don't think so.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• keith
    Options
    sulfuric acid

Is the vent pipe made of PVC? Seems like with stack temp so low you would be able to. There is something to be said about tried and true technology. But these gains in technology to date have been yesterdays brain storm. The no gain with no pain lesson applies here as well. Probably why a lot of these creations start off in your own basement.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    In the MZ factory test lab

we took one apart that's been under stress testing & seen many hours of run time. Plenty of condensate was present and no soot or visible signs of deterioration. Very quiet when running.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Absolutely.................

not. Condensing gas equipment is the future of our industry, in my opinion. Since our heating systems are, or should be, being designed for the lowest possible water temperatures, condensing technology will be huge. Sciences like geo, solar (and fuel cells?) are great ideas and should be part of our offerings, but they are limited applications, currently. Natural gas and propane are readily available almost everywhere and probably will be for a very long time.

I have resisted jumping on the condensing bandwagon until very recently. The "bleeding edge" of is not where I want to put my clients interests. I have seen too many companies design things and then put it out in the field with little or no testing to see "how it works".

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.