Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IAQ Mark H

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
Here are a few shots of a high density media filter that I inspected the other day.

This inspection was part of an Energy Star audit. We also found that the heat exchanger on the oil fired furnace was cracked and spilling CO into the supply duct, something that the homeowners "service" company missed.

Lots of mold growing on the filter and in the filter housing as well as rust.

Mold will be a bigger issue than asbestos soon.

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    return air \"Q\"

If that filter were sufficiently plugged could the blower create enough pressure drop to create condensate on the downstream side of it, to mold? Out here in the west the ambient humidity is so low that I have never seen it but in the east could that occur? HUmmmmmmmmmmm just wondering? change that media guys! anyway bigugh
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Black gold

Mark,cause and effect do you know yet?Duct leakage and
    high humidity, Not to mention closing off a lot of room
    from the one and only return.Createing a negative pressure
    that draws in polluants.Lets us know what you find.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

Hi Don!

This furnace sits in a VERY moist basement and of course none of the duct work had been sealed. We will be addressing the moisture issue through the Energy Star program, and all of the duct work will be cleaned, sealed, and sanitized.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Options
    Are those your purty

finger nails, Mark :)

Ain't it funny how much "inspectors" miss.

Keep up the good work.

Brian in very mouldy swampland.
  • Mark Hunt
    Options

No, those are not my fingers. That color of nail polish would clash with my company colors!!!!!

Hope all is well in swampland!!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.