Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chiminey liner

Options
BRIAN_3
BRIAN_3 Member Posts: 10
we have a customer that needs two oil boilers replaced 1 steam 1 HOT WATER in the same basement one unlined chiminey with two 40 gallon gas h2o htrs also. any ideas on a liner customer is on a budget h2o htrs are fairly new does not want to go indirect at this time or tankles. 2 boilers are around 115000input ea h2o htrs are 35000 ea

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

I am not sure that you can properly vent oil fired appliances and gas appliances into a common chimney liner.

If no-one here posts an experience with this issue, you should contact the folks that manufacture the liner.

With oil the liner has to be stainless steel, which you may already know.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
    Options
    Chiminey liners.........

I do not believe most codes will allow for both gas and oil fired into the same stack, and know for sure that if these are atmospheric units, it is a definite no no. High moisture from gas fired units mixed with acid in oil flue gasses is one reason, and very possibly you will end up with serious draft problems.
    I would either talk him into indirect fired on the dhw, or two seperate stacks, or stack liners.
    Are they all presently in one combined stack now?
    Steve
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Chimney Liner

Here in ma.we don't have to line, gas flues must be above the oil flues.This applys to center inside chimney.Also check out Burnham LE boilers which are direct vent thru wall with no powervent. These units we used on electric houses with very good results. Hope this helps.
    www.burnham.com
  • Al_3
    Al_3 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    flue probs

Ever heard of sulfuric acid?
  • Rich Kontny
    Rich Kontny Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Replacements

Take this advice from a Wisconsin contractor who does not know rates or the pros of sticking with oil, however gas is the logical best choice if both fuels are available (cheaper, less maintenance , wider range of clean combustion and at least in Wisconsin very reliable.)
    It is well known that oil is still very popular in the norteast yet I have never completely been convinced as to why????? The figures I hear are only 10% heat with oil , are they all in the northeast?

Willing to learn,
    MP1969
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    According to NFPA

According to NFPA 211-2000 Table 6-8 Interconnections (Chimney Connector and Vent Connector)

6-8.1 Connectors serving appliances operating under natural draft shall not be connected into any portion of a mechanical draft system operating under a positive pressure.

6-8.2 Unless listed for such connection, solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be connected to a chimney flue serving another appliance.

6-8.3 Gas utilization appliances and appliances burning liquid fuel shall be permitted to be connected to one chimney flue through separate openings or shall be permitted to be connected through a single opening, provided they are joined by a suitable fitting located as close as practicable to the chimney and provided both of the following apply:

(1) Sufficient draft is available for the safe combustion of each appliance and for the removal of all products of combustion.

(2) The appliances so connected are equipped with primary safety controls and all appliances are located in the same room.

6-8.4 If two or more openings are provided into one chimney flue, They shall be at different levels, and the smaller connection shall enter at the highest level consistent with available head room or clearances to combustible material.

The following information can be found in the 2000 Edition of NFPA 211 page 211-27

I hope this helps you some!

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    corrosives

Carbolic acid is another one if any carbon available in chimney wall or flue gasses.
This discussion has been closed.