Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil line

Options
John_11
John_11 Member Posts: 40
I would like to replace my oil line to my new boiler. I was wondering what you all think about the installation. Directly off the oil tank the oil line is coiled up before it goes to the burner. Is this for a better oil flow? Should I do this to my new line? I do plan on covering the new line with some sort of pipe covering. It is not code here but I think it is better than leaving the line exposed sitting on the concrete floor. This is why I was wondering if I needed to coil the lint right off the tank. Thank you for all of you input. John

Comments

• Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    oil line

You do not have to coil the oil line like that. We do it for the purpose that it will provide slack in the future if a tech should ever need to repace a leaking flare or such.
    And it looks cool.
    Just be sure to leave slack ( and be neat about it)
    You are right about covering the line. Good idea.. Not code there??wheres that?. It will be soon
  • John_11
    John_11 Member Posts: 40
    Options

I live in Vermont. How much of a coil are we talking about, 2-4 loops? I want mine to look cool too.....When covering the line do you cover the loops too?. What do you suggest for a covering? I guess I could use just about anything but... I want it to look good too. Good and Cool that's what I want.
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    significant coiling

can help keep the oil at a constant, not too cold temperature, so that the burner performs in a similar manner throughout the season. This is especially helpful with outside tanks and right after a fill in real cold weather. The slow flow of the oil through the coil of copper, 1 -2 gph, allows the oil to reach abient temperature befor reaching the nozzle. Changing oil temperature really changes the flame characteristics.

Steve Levine

Slant/Fin
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Coiled Oil Line also...

seems to stop some of the resonance humming that can occur if an oil line is too tight . Think of it as a shock absorber between the fuel pump spinning at 3450 RPM and the 44X28X60 inch hollow sound producing device . The extra is a good idea anyway , but after repairing something that sounds like a whale constantly talking in the basement , I find it to be essential. (18 years and every one done with coils and no complaints) . Chris.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    coated oil lines

We've been using Envirotube oil lines "Cool" red pvc coating on the tubing eazy to get off for flaring and rated for direct burial in concrete or earth .available in 50 ft. coils in 3/8 & 1/2 inch od also available in yellow for gas.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    coil

I use the light blue ENT ribbed tubing.Just go to the coil not the coil itself. Too hard to work with. I like about two 7-" coils Kpc
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Kevin

The light blue of the ent tubing on a flamable fuel line is a code violation in many jursdictions that have proper code enforcement. Some handy man from the big box may in the future decide that that piece of copper in the blue ENT is a good ground rod.Black ads corrugated pipe would be a safe alternative IMHO. It is available in several different diameters
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Up and Over

When ever we have a run under 50' we always run the line up & over the floor joists ( measure from tank up to floor across and down to burner) if 50' or less any mini pump will handle this load. Secure with 3/8" copper clips spaced 2' apart use flare firomatics and putting the filter @ the pump for maintence and keeping oil warm is best.Also do coil the line for noise from pump.The best thing with this set-up is if ever a leak you will know real quick. Hope this helps.
  • Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    code

in NYC the code is to cover the tubing w/concrete. There is an allowance of a foot or so at the tank and the burner
This discussion has been closed.