Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Man Who Listens To Horses

Options
Bill_14
Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
My wife and I just returned from watching a 4-hour performance by Monty Roberts who is better known as "The Man Who Listens to Horses"

Comments

• Bill_14
    Options
  • Bill_14
    Options

My wife and I just returned from a great 4-hour performance by Monty Roberts, better known as "The Man Who Listens To Horses". If you enjoy horses and the art of training horses with a very unique form of communication, you won't want to miss the opportunity to see him if he comes to your town.

His work is truly unbelievable. What a performance !!

Check out http://www.montyroberts.com for more information.

Bill Russell
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Interesting Bill

I grew up on the Racetrack, I'd love to see the guy. I'm a Horseman first (That's how Triple Crown got his name). Used to break yearlings and gallop too! I doubt he'd be comin' to New York City though1!!!!! Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bill_14
    Options
    This Isn't Heating, But It Okay (I think)

You would love this guy Mad Dog. It is truly unbelievable what he can do with horses. If you ever get a chance to go see him, it is worth every dime.

Basically, Monty Roberts was a physically abused child and his abusive father was a horse trainer...a trainer from the "old school" of beating and whipping horses.

Monty Roberts has never hurt or harmed a horse and his style is something to see. His traveling show is made up of working with five (5) various troubled horses from the region he is visiting. These horses are selected in advance and Monty has never seen them until the night they are brought into the arena.

He had a horse that has never had a rider, a saddle or a bit; a wild bucker that could handle any rodeo rider; a horse that was forever spooked because a helicopter almost landed on top of it; a horse that took 6 men, ropes and an hour to load into a horse trailer; and, a horse that has never had it's feet lifted and bites and kicks on every attempt to mess with his feet. Guess what, each one of these horses became normal after he finished and each of the horse owner's could not believe their eyes.

The classic was after only 15 minutes of training, he had the horse that would sit down before she would go into a trailer walking into the trailer alone without a rope...she loaded herself over and over again!!

His books are available, as well as his tapes. Check out http://www.montyroberts.com/mediapack/doclib.shtml.

By the way, the man has raised 47 foster children. He believes in treating children the same way he treats horses. He is a neat guy.
  • Mad Dog
    Options
    Astonishing Bill

yeah Holohan lets us diverge a bit...as long as it doesn't drag on too long or get really obnoxiuos. Unfortunately, alot of Old Timers could be brutal, but not all the "OLd schoolers" were. My Grandfather, father, and I were never cruel to a horse, but there are always times that you have to be tough or you just might get your head kicked off ( my pops saw that first hand one time). I'd really like to see this feller work with some of the big (17 hands and 1200 lbs), mean, and nasty Thoroughbred breeding studs that are out there. I remember one in Particular...Devil's Tattoo was his name - very successful at stud, but would kick, bite, and stomp you in a second. Tried to warm up to this fella for years...carrots, sugar cubes, petting him real nice (when someone else had control of his head!)even whispered sweet nothings in his ear........HE WASN"t havin' any of it. Does Monty have a video of his work? Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Patrick_2
    Patrick_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options

I think I saw him on TV once, he went out into the desert to find wild mustangs. He then picked one and that was the horse he was going to break. Very interesting in how he goes about it. He uses the horses language to communicate with them. He ended up riding that horse after a full day working with it.
  • Bill_14
    Options
    Video

Yes, he has several videos. He has another book coming out in October that will be his step-by-step text book on his training techniques. Check his website.

What is interesting is that the only reward he gives the horse he is working with is a rub on the forehead continuously for about 15 seconds.

Bill
  • Bill_14
    Options
    This is correct.

He generally trys to have a wild mustang in his traveling show, but I guess there weren't any volunteers.

Bill
  • Mad Dog
    Options
    The man is a genius, but

Mustangs are not a very big breed some pony size (14 hands and less)Thoroughbreds are big, rangy, and the fastest of all breeds...highy!!! tempermental. However, if he caN MAKE headway with them, I'm sure he would have success with all breeds....Mad Dog

This discussion has been closed.