Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MAPP Gas Explodes, 3 plumbers hurt

Saw this in todays newspaper.

Is there a special torch head to use with MAPP gas or will a regular propane torch head be OKAY?

Anyway, heres the story

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-litorch152825198aug15.story

3 Boiler Workers Burned as Gas Torch Explodes
By Thai Jones
STAFF WRITER

August 15, 2002

Three workers replacing a boiler and water heater in a Huntington house on Tuesday were seriously burned when an industrial-strength gas torch they were using exploded.

Around 4:30 p.m. Gary Wright, 49, of Patchogue was soldering pipes with a MAPP Gas torch in the basement of 23 Woolsey St. when he accidentally dropped it to the ground and the gas canister exploded, Suffolk County police said.

Wright suffered severe facial burns and was taken by police helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital. Yesterday he remained in the burn unit in satisfactory condition. Two other workers, Celio Livicura, 29, of Patchogue, and Brian Falabella, 26, of Deer Park, were taken by ambulance to Huntington Hospital. Falabella was later transferred to Stony Brook and was in satisfactory condition yesterday, according to Stella Shivers, a hospital spokeswoman. No further information was available about Livicura's condition.

The men were employed by Burner King, according to Paul Girolamo, who lives at the house. Girolamo said he hired them to install a new boiler and water heater in the house where he has lived for more than 20 years. A Burner King employee reached by phone at the company's Ronkonkoma office would not comment.

Girolamo, 48, a special education teacher at North Shore High School, was outside painting.

"I heard a huge explosion and a massive billow of smoke came out of the basement window," he said.

Girolamo's wife, Nanette, 48, called 911 on a cell phone while her husband turned the garden hose on the three men. She said the basement was not damaged.

MAPP Gas uses an acetylene mixture that burns hotter than propane and is often used by plumbers to "sweat," or join, copper water pipes.

Frank Falabella visited his son, Brian, in the hospital on Tuesday night. "His arms were burned and his legs had some burns on them, and a little bit on the lip," Falabella said. "He was a little drowsy. It didn't look like he was in pain."

Falabella said some action should be taken. "They should investigate what happened so it doesn't happen to anyone again," he said.
Copyright © 2002, Newsday, Inc.

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908

BURGER KING EMPLOYEES!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I hope they all recover fully and NEVER try that again.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • I saw that mentioned on another site

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=24736&article=20195

Anonymous
    What a great boss!!
    Tue Aug 13 23:54:52 2002

I usually leave a name to respond to but Id rather not considering I will be bashing on someone. Today a great lifelong friend of mine was on an install with 2 other guys. During the install his b tank fell over and the regualtor busted sendin acetalyn in the air. At that very instant they had a flash where a man with 30 plus years on the job had his shirt and pants melted to his skin. My friend suffered 3 degree burns on his arms and 2nd degree on his face. The other ran up the stairs to get help. But thats not even the point. This happened at 4 oclock in the afternoon. His office was notified immedatly. His boss was contacted and yet took him 5 hours to get to the burn unit at Stonybrook. 5 HOURS what a guy. And on arrival he was so arrogant and all but came close to calling his men idots. As a tech we all know an accident can happen, but if my boss took 5 hours to show, Iam gonna have a serious problem the next day. The whole crew showed up before the boss and 1 guy was with him when he heard but his only concern was WHOS gonna finish the job.. Two fingers up to you my friend.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Mark

It's Burner King
  • John@Reliable
    Mapp head

You need a special head for mapp gas
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    The story

is unclear, but it implies that all men were employees of Burger King. Does Burger King employ licensed plumbers? Or was Mr. Wright a plumber employed by BK?

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304

I use the portable small gas cannisters, and a BernzOmatic burner head. I just now checked their web site and from what I see, their heads are for both MAPP and propane.

What is the special MAPP head you mention?

The explosion article made me wonder if I was using the wrong stuff.....
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    The corporation

sell to a independent who life style consist of Greed.
    This guy only way is cutting corner.He only hire young man whos only been at the trade a few years,turns them loose.
    the guy is ask to perform miracles with equipment that
    should have been replace 20 years ago not to mention a 24/7 work week.This guy puts his people and store in harms way
    constantly.Has you can tell by noel post.I had a offer to do repair and contact work at one time after seeing a few store no thank you.I feel sorry for those guys,that could have happen to anyone of us. I hope they get a good lawyer
    and teach the guy that being cheap and heart less doesn't pay.
  • The man who was burned

Gary Wright , used to work for my company before I started there . The guys in the shop said he is a top notch installer - not afraid to tackle any job . Everyone is hoping for the best for Gary and his 2 partners .

The article in Newsday said that a Mapp gas tank exploded . But the gentleman who works with the crew said they were using a B tank , usually filled with acetylene . He said that the tank was accidentally knocked over and the regulator busted right off . That B tank falls alot on me also , it could of happened to anyone of us . I hope Gary and his partners recover fully .
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Mapp or Acetylene?

Which is it? The story said it was Mapp, but down below it mentioned "B" tank. That's acetylene. Mapp gas is mucho safer than acetylene so it sounds like someone didn't report it right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JerryJ
    JerryJ Member Posts: 19
    Mapp Torch

Go back to the first post and go to the web site Phil listed and it tells you a little more about what happened
    JerryJ
  • Tim
    Tim Member Posts: 5
    Guess I should read the full post NM

• John@Reliable
    Mapp

If it said for both you should be ok, the cheap ones are for propane only. You might want to check out turbo touch which is what I use, better than bernzo I think.
  • Look carefully, folks

It AIN'T BURGER KING!

"The men were employed by Burner King"

What kind of burgers do you install? Oil burgers or gas burgers?

Maybe burners and burgers are two different things?

A Burger King employee pointed this out to me. She read it right before I did. Clever name.

Noel
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    I agree

That BOSS BE NUMBER ONE
This discussion has been closed.