Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sub. pump question....

Options
nick z.
nick z. Member Posts: 157
Pump has sat for more than 6yrs.(house burnt down)Re-hooked it today, Now I know nothing about this pump, not the depthor the H.P. so I started out with a 1/2 h.p. control box which only hummed, then a 3/4 which did the same so I went to a 1 h.p. which didn't hum but pump didnt'deliver any water. Pump draws 15 amps on each leg from the min. you throw the switch. I'm thinking the pump must be froze up. Does any body think I could try a big capciator just to break it lose? Pump is on pipe so pulling it will be a job. And by the way there is only #14 wire going down to the pump. Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This link may help

Not sure, but it might. Wire size would indicate a pump not much bigger than a 1/2 to 3/4 HP and not much deeper than 300'. That's just a W.A.G., from experience. I would use an ohmmeter and the chart on this link to see if the motor is savable. Good, cheap test. Not conclusive positive, but a negative will tell you if you need to pull it.

http://www.goulds.com/pdf/IM096R01.pdf

Noel
  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options

Thanks Noel.I did have a amprobe on it thats how I Knew each leg was pullin 15 amps. I just can't find out how much a locked rotor would draw.
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Well pump

After 6 years of not running and sitting in water,mmmmmmmmm
    do the right thing now and save yourself or others worry,
    pull the pump and install a new one and control box.This will be cheaper and worry free for you, don't you think!
  • Unknown
    Options
    OHMS

Not amps. How many ohms do you have from each wire to wire combination? How many ohms do you have to ground from each wire? How does that match the chart in the guide?

I agree. Pull it and get it over with in good weather. Check the wires for chafing. Check the pipe, too, if it's plastic.

Noel
  • j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    frozen impeller

i had the same thing happen to my submersible sewage ejector pump.....the thing had sat for a few months without operating, and the impeller was frozen to the casing....i pulled the pump & chipped off all the gunk with a screwdriver, freed up the impeller & away she went....

tip: after you free the impeller, stand back before you plug it back in & power it up...it tends to fling #!*$! all over the place
  • Rich
    Rich Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Get it up!

See if you can rent yourself an Up-Z-Dazy pump puller.It will save your back,getting it up...
This discussion has been closed.