Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Alarm - Wayco Wayne

Options
Wayco Wayne
Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
I have a customer who has a beautifullly finished basement she has spent a lot of money on. She has had problems with occaisional condensate leak from the AC plus she has a water heater in the same closet that some day may go. I am looking for a water alarm that would sense any water spillage and maybe even have a set of contacts that would at least shut off the A/C when this happens. Are there any products you can recommend. Thansk in advance. Wayco Wayne

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    EZ TRAP

Wayne, we use the ez trap for the airhandler it has a float switch built in to the trap with a normal set of open and close contact, we wire this in to a indicator light in hall
    it will also shut off ac if drain cloggs up.There is also a device with a flat dics you can mount to the floor that you can wire to a 24 volt alarm I believe grainer carry them.
    web site WWW.eztrap.com is the link, they might have the floor dics. don
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I use EZ trap in attics.

It would no twork in this cas. The leak I found this morning was due to a froze up coil which was due to her keeping the t/stat set way low over night. I installed an ICM fan speed contol to keep pressures high at night but I still need something on the floor just in case. I'll check the Gainger catologue. Thanks for the lead. WW.
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Taco WAGS

The water heater could be protected with water & gas safety valve (WAGS) made by Taco. Can you repair the condensate leak or is it always going to be a problem? Coil freezing problem needs to be addressed. I believe that Grainger does have what you were originally looking for.

Bill Russell
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Coil Freezing Problem

Check for poor air flow across the coil. If so, check for dirty air filters and/or a dirty coil. The unit blower fan needs to provide adequate air flow...a minimum of 400 cubic feet per minute per ton of refrigeration. The temperature drop across the coil should not be greater than 20* F.

In addition, the coil could freeze if the system is low on refrigerant or is leaking freon. If the system is allowed to run when it is colder than 65* to 70* inside, you may need to install a low ambient control that will shut down the compressor if the space gets too cool.

Finally, if for some reason the above trouble-shooting does not eliminate the coil freeze-ups, you can always add a freeze stat to the coil and wire it in series with the compressor contactor.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Water alarm

> Check for poor air flow across the coil. If so,

> check for dirty air filters and/or a dirty coil.

> The unit blower fan needs to provide adequate air

> flow...a minimum of 400 cubic feet per minute per

> ton of refrigeration. The temperature drop

> across the coil should not be greater than 20*

> F.

>

> In addition, the coil could freeze if the

> system is low on refrigerant or is leaking freon.

> If the system is allowed to run when it is colder

> than 65* to 70* inside, you may need to install a

> low ambient control that will shut down the

> compressor if the space gets too

> cool.

>

> Finally, if for some reason the above

> trouble-shooting does not eliminate the coil

> freeze-ups, you can always add a freeze stat to

> the coil and wire it in series with the

> compressor contactor.

I've used something called a "WaterBug", it's a sensor with two wires that sends a signal if it gets wet. It will work with the Honeywell Networked Zoning system telephone access module to transmit an alarm to any phone the customer chooses. Inexpensive and easy to install. Most hvac distributors carry them. The others are right about checking for low charge and dirty coils or plugged filters. Make sure the drain line is clear, and pump the condensate out of the home or into a drain. Water leaks are the primary cause for mold growth or other air quality problems. Good luck!
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Water alarm

I've used something called a "WaterBug", it's a sensor with two wires that sends a signal if it gets wet. It will work with the Honeywell Networked Zoning system telephone access module to transmit an alarm to any phone the customer chooses. Inexpensive and easy to install. Most hvac distributors carry them. The others are right about checking for low charge and dirty coils or plugged filters. Make sure the drain line is clear, and pump the condensate out of the home or into a drain. Water leaks are the primary cause for mold growth or other air quality problems. Good luck!
  • Pat
    Pat Member Posts: 25
    Options
    AC water on the floor

Slide a pan under the air handler and install a float in the pan, switch breaking power (Y)to the compressor. Your alarm will be warm air blowing out the registers, not cool air.
  • Pat
    Pat Member Posts: 25
    Options
    AC water on the floor

Slide a pan under the air handler and install a float switch in the pan, breaking power (Y) to the compressor. Your alarm will be warm air blowing out the registers, not cool air.
This discussion has been closed.