Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

computers

Options
Joel_3
Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
ok guys I've got basically two offices, one in my house (sales ,customer realtions, bookkeeping)and also one at another location where we store parts supplies and crews meet each day also computer equiped for system sizing layouts etc. We are finally combing this in a remodeled barn. Sooo the question is what to do about computers we are running 3 machines now two through linksys router. running windows 95 and 98. we'll need 5 machines to start all linked. Do I try and build something on what I've got? or call Dell and ask them to set me up with everything. It's been suggested that i reconfigure 1 old tower as a server and then get a couple new machines. this is appealing as i have enough saved points on my credit card to get probably two loaded up Sony's for free (yes really). Downside to this is I'd be relying on a brother in law to set this up for me (he's a windows NT engineer)and iknow he can do it but if we have problems obviously he can't help 24/7.
If I just say here's the check Dell go ahead .I'll be out alot of money but will have acces to thier tech support. So I'm willing to do that potentially as problems could cost us even more if i go the other route.
So what are you running? did you set it up or did you hire someone? Also looking for good software we have basically gone beyond quick books pro. i need full acounting ,dispatch, service tracking ,job tracking, etc. Wintac? Schaefer's?? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=179&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options

Sounds like you depend a great deal on computer support. How many technicians do you have and what type of work do you do? Please provide a little more information if you can. Thanks.

Bill Russell
  • j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    sony products

1) i would think twicw before buying the sony machines...not very robust..ours do not handle traveling very well, but if they stay in the office, you should be ok
    2) why do you need fully loaded machines at work....so your employees can download mp3's & photos faster on your time...stick with basic fast machines without sound cards or the graphics stuff and save your money .... have lots of RAM if you're running CAD
    2) the new machines will probably have windows XP on them...win 95 is kind of obsolete, but will still work
    3) if you realy need 24/7 support, get a service contract with someone you can trust as well as dump on if the going gets tough
    4)Dell is great for corporate accounts, good products, good service, nice solid machines
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options

Joel,

If you cannot depend on your brother-in-law to be available for you, then you can surely find another local source. Dell is very good and I can certainly recommend them as long as you get a 3-year warranty. I would use Windows 98 and dump 95 though. If you get new machines, it won't matter because you will receive the latest operating system.
    I would give your Sony stuff to someone as a gift.

You really need someone local that understands your system and knows something about your operations. If you get a new accounting software, there will be lots of issues (bugs) crop up that PC people will blame on software and software people will blame on the operating system. You will need a referee that can solve problems.

We bought Dell desktops and have a Dell file server running the network. We have a local guy that knows our system and we pay him $85 per hour to bail us out on an "as-needed" basis. If Dell has a hardware problem, he deals with Dell in our behalf.

My brother-in-law is a dentist and I think it is important not to make a brother-in-law mad at you, especially if he does your root canals. Use him as your overall advisor, etc. and not the guy you may sometimes upset you because the problem is not being solved fast enough for you.

We use CMS for accounting, dispatching, etc. software and we are wanting to trash it for something much better. There are lots of issues to consider when buying this expensive software and I would be as interested in you as learning what all is out there. Scott Milne uses Wintac and likes it...I haven't had time to research it all yet.

Good luck.

Bill Russell

• Joel
    Joel Member Posts: 8
    Options
    bill

We have 6-7 techs in the field. We basically do it all for residential and a little light commercial. We do new custom homes and remodels :radiant, boilers, A/c systems (all types , Unico, Mitsubishi, full ductwork) ventilation systems. Oil /Gas hot air, hot water you name it. If it can solve a customers problem we do it. Along with full service oil , gas and A/C. We do all our own in house design including duct layout piping design etc.We don't however do basic plumbing like baths drains sinks and stuff.
    Thanx, joel
  • Sven
    Sven Member Posts: 34
    Options
    If you purchase Dell's ,

consider buying them from the Dell Factory Outlet. You will save money! These machines have been re-certified by technicians, and a lot of times fail less than new because of the personal attention.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

"Tested, re-tested, and guaranteed Dell products with same-as-new 24 hour technical support and limited warranties. Shop Dell Outlet for current technology ready to ship at reduced prices."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do what you know best

We skipped the Big Box Guys and went local. Found a great computer store, they sold us the stuff, they put it in, and installed the software. They did the network. If we have a problem, it is one call, and they send a guy over. The same guy if at all possible. Stay away from XP if at all possible, too many problems. We paid the big bucks for it, literally wrestled with it everyday for 3 months. Then called up our comupter guy, he wiped everything out and put Windows 98 back in, and we haven't had so much as a hiccup in 4 months. We also popped for the UPC power supplies on everything important. When we decided to stick to what we know best, and pay someone to fix the rest, was the happiest day of our lives.
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options

Joel,

stay with the simplest stuff, life will be much easier that way!

you say you have outgrown quickbooks? Give lisa Mitchell a call at service doctors. she can provide you with everything you need for tracking, software, flat rate, etc.
    http://www.servicedoctors.com/

hope everything works out for you
    Chris
  • corey
    corey Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Networking

Why not just attach all 5 existing computers through the Linksys router.
    If you are out of ports, you can add another hub for cheap.
    The 4-port Linksys router can actually support 256 machines.
    This may not be your ultimate long-term configuration, but it gets all of your machines connected together quick and easy, and all can share a single internet connection.

If you find you need a dedicated server for some future application, it can be added then.
This discussion has been closed.