Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Not the best use for a closet - ron jr.

Options
that was built after the boiler and heater were put in - to get every extra inch of living space . The boiler let go and the entire basement rug was saturated .

Comments

• To get the boiler off the floor a bit

the guys who installed this boiler used those 4 nipples in the muck to raise it up . I guess it was too far to drive for some cement blocks .
  • We took out both

the boiler and heater and installed a Peerless WBV3 in its place . The other pic is of the staircase we had to bring all the eqipment down . Why a housebuilder would end a staircase so close to another wall is beyond me . But we run into this problem all the time .
  • jerryb
    jerryb Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hey Ron i see that you work on some of LONG ISLANDS best heating equpt,Real nice job!mThat you installed!!! You and who ever you work with can be proud of your skills!!!!
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    neat job...

Why no watts 70a or sparco mixing valve on the tankless water heater?
  • Thank you Jerry

I did boilers in NYC for my 1st 10 years , and there was always ample room , and direct access to the boiler . Working on Long Island , every boiler has to go through a finished part of the house , and usually in a closet or tight area . Sometimes I miss the city .
  • Kevin

To tell you the truth , Im not sure . I know before I started working for Meenan they used a type of auto mixer that was a complete failure - just about everyone had to be changed . I guess the company is leery in using another type. Are the ones you mentioned reliable ? Do you have to drop the cold from the coil down a ways to make them perform properly ? I really wouldnt mind installing all the extra equpment to get my boilers up to the safest codes for the families - like the mixer , a LWCO , separate hi limit , sheetrock over the boiler . But you know how the big companies work - they will try to incorporate all that extra into the job without giving us the extra manpower to do it . And we are stretched to the breaking point right now .

We always tell the customer of the function of the hand mixer , and with the customers who want a certain temp we will set it for them with a gauge at a sink . Thanks Kevin .
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    Tight on space

Way to go Ron jr, I like saving space. It's upwards of $185 sq ft around here.

al
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Ron

I noticed the lack of tempering valve also, but you do such nice work I did'nt want to be critical. Since I now know its not your decision, you should talk to the company. They are leaving themselves wide open for a scalding law suit. That boiler could be putting out 150/160 and the ball valves could be just shut off by the home owner. Also how about backflow preventers ? They don't care about those either huh ?

As allways Ron, you've done beautifull work. Your an artist.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Ron

I have had real good luck w/ the sparco mixing valves and you dont have to trap them.They are much more $ than say a Watts 70a . But you get what you pay for, the watts just dont last. ($75 vs. $20) By code here in NH you have to put some type of thermostatic valve on a tankles coil, although I have seen a few old boilers w/ the setup you had and they work ok. One advantage to what you installed is low mantainance, something most customers desire. Keep up he great work! Kevin c.
  • Actually

We were in that situation once because there was no mixer installed at all . Since then we went through the auto mix debacle , then switched back to a hand mix , and havent been in that situation since. Scott , do you know where to find out what the code is for a mixing valve ? Does it specifically say that a hand mixer is not satisfactory ? Theres a hand mix on just about every old boiler we see , and there never seemed to be a problem back then . Thanks for the compliment Scott .
  • I think it was the Watts

mixer we had all the problems with . Im gonna tell my bosses about the Sparco - but at $70 a pop , I know the answer already . Are the guts of the Sparco easy to change just in case ? Thank you Kevin .
  • Eleft

Thats a premium per foot where youre at . The job we did was in a pretty run down neighborhood and they made 4 bedrooms in the basement with a common kitchen and bathroom . This guy was in the bedroom with the staircase . He slept right through us working down there . Didnt even notice the flash of the camera .
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Kevin Coppinger Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Ron...

Yes the guts are easy to replace. They are also equipped w/ unions to do the whole thing.I am in New Hampshire. We use the 1993 Boca code (until Sept.) Chapter 15 p1508 talks about the mixer valves. I am not sure what NY has for a code. Either way I enjoy looking at your installs. You get boilers in places so small..... Hats off!
    kevin C.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Sparco

Ron they are also anti-scauld. Just one more step away from the ambulance chasers. Thats how I would bring it up to the boss's. If they only understand the bottom line, A lawsuit big enough to stop the whole company in its track is about as bottom as it gets.

Keep on, Keepin on !!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
  • The door was louvre

This discussion has been closed.