Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Airlock in Aquatherm

Options
Beth
Beth Member Posts: 2
Hello. I own a home with two Aquatherm units made by First Co. One unit is in the basement and one is in the attic. The units are ignited by a gas boiler. We have perpetual problems with the upstairs unit air locking. If the air lock occurs while we are home, we can easily enough bleed out the air and the unit will resume working. BUT if we don't do that in time, our circulator pump burns out. I've already replaced it twice and I think I need to do it a third time. I can't seem to find a repair service capable of fixing the air lock. I want to avoid sinking more money into misdiagnosing this problem and am looking for some guidance and/or a top notch repair person. I live in Virginia. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Aquatherm

Beth,

I have worked on many Aquatherm units. I am based in Alexandria, VA. Where are you located?

Dan Foley

Foley Mechanical

703-751-3288
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Beth

Has anyone looked for the leak? If you're getting that much air, the water has to be going somewhere.

Try clicking on the "Find a Contractor" tab and enter your zip code. It will tell you where the nearest contractor that comes to this site is,that is if they are listed.

Are there any pipes running under concrete or in crawl spaces?

Without seeing it I would have to say that you have a pretty good leak somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Joel_3
    Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    hydro air

ok Beth, We've been doing these since 86 or so and never an air problem. here's the basic recipe. first we put a pump on each zone ,never a zone valve (to many reasons to list). Second we put the pumps on the supply side NOT the return. This is the big key. Airhandlers have lots of small internal piping and air likes to hang out there. This is especially true on systems with an airhandler in the attic because this is the systems high point and air naturally will want to go there. Simply adding an air vent in the attic probably won't cut it and can cause other potential problems.
    Last you need to find out how the air is getting in the system to begin with. possable suspects are a bad exspansion tank , pump gaskets, malfunctioning air vent etc.
    Use the "find a contractor" part of the wall and get an HVAC/hydronics pro and you'll be all set

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan Foley1
    Options
    Aquatherm

It is unlikely there is a leak (it would have made itself evident by now). I typically find this problem on the Aquatherm air handler with the factory installed pump in the unit. The problem occurs when system pressure drops due to a plugged pressure reducing valve or the feed valve is shut off. The air handler in the attic is already seeing the lowest system pressure. When the circulator pump kicks on, the system pressure at the pump inlet can drop below atmospheric and suck in air through the auto vent. Common problem. -DF
  • Joel
    Joel Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Dan

Your saying the pump is in the airhandler?? WOW, what a nightmare that must be. We use airhandlers with nothing in them so all that type of trouble shooting can be done right at the boiler. Who wants to be changing a circulator in a dark attic when it's 10-20 bellow 0? What happens when the pump gaskets leak? is it hard to get in there and get it out? do they valve both sides of it internally?
  • Joel
    Joel Member Posts: 8
    Options
    beth

Srry I was not aware that your unit had an internal circulator pump. i've never even heard of such an animal.
  • Dan Foley1
    Options
    Joel

The Aquatherm air handler is available either way - with or without the factory installed circulator. Like you, I prefer to install the circulator in the boiler room. I do not know which unit Beth has. I was just speculating a possible cause of her problem. -DF
  • Beth
    Beth Member Posts: 2
    Options
    internal circulator pump

Dan, you're right--the pump is inside the unit. We've already tried adding an air vent in the attic, and Joel was right--it didn't work. We replaced one pressure reducing valve connected to the boiler. I'm in Richmond. I'd be very happy to pay for your transportation costs if you're willing to travel. Didn't see any Richmond-based contractors here. Thanks for everyone's help.
  • Dan Foley1
    Options
    Richmond

Beth,

Richmond is way outside of my service area. Try Wayne Coleman of Blue Ridge Radiant in Earlysville, VA. You might also try Hugh Joyce at James River Heating & A/C. He is based in Richmond. I would be happy to assist via e-mail or phone (703) 751-3288 Good Luck! -DF
This discussion has been closed.