Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion tank in the attic

Jeremy
Jeremy Member Posts: 52
I have a customer who has their expansion tank in their attic. The tank has a leak and cannot be repaired. Is is reccommended to replace the tank in the attic or just add a tank to the system near the boiler? If adding the tank near the boiler is the answer, is there anything wrong with capping the line in the attic? Thanks in advance, I have never come across a situation like this?

Comments

• We see that all the time

in the attic of Levitt houses- usually the expansion tank is up there with an old , rusty B and G circulator for the upstairs . When we install a new boiler , we always add a new expansion tank right where the new boiler sits . Sometimes the salesman will sell moving the circ to the boiler also . The best bet is to get rid of the tee that the expansion tank is sitting in , if you have the room , and relocate the tank closer to the boiler . The setup where the tank is now might be a problem if that zone had to be isolated . Good luck .
  • Dale W.
    Dale W. Member Posts: 42
    How old is it?

Some of the very old homes in our area have open expansion tanks in the attic with an overflow pipe to the outside. We don't see this very often. These house are from the early 1900's. They were gravity feed systems. I have seen contractors remove old boilers and add a new boiler with a new fill valve set at 12 PSI. After starting it up, they have water running down the side of the house. Make sure your's is a closed system expansion tank. Also make sure you have a good relief valve on the system.
    Dale W.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy Member Posts: 52
    OLD!!

The customer says its very old but i really dont have an approx. age. Boiler was replaced about 15 years ago he thinks.
  • Frank_17
    Frank_17 Member Posts: 107
    how old?

Not neccessarily from the early 1900's. I put in one of those systems last year. In a barn converted to a wood shop, no running water in the barn, works well.
This discussion has been closed.