Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unico A/C

Options
Colin
Colin Member Posts: 50
We've put them all in. All have merits but for my $ so far Hi-V by Energy Saving Products has my vote. They even have a great design software program that simplifies the whole process. I would still like to take the best features of each and build the ultimate system.

Comments

• Unico A/C

Any one have experiance with installing this or any other hi-velocity system? I am thinking of using it in an old house I am working on. The supplys would have to come up through the hardwood floors. The basement ceiling below is a thick plaster with wire mesh and rock wool insulation. Some areas are reinforced concrete. The basement area has a lot of piping and ductwork already(the ductwork is for gravity steam coils so we can't use it for A/C). I would like to use metal duct for the mail supply line, any problems with this? Any input would be helpfull.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    A/C query

The trick here is to do a complete heat gain(loss) calculation. Then with the numbers see if the old duct work will work. Know that the old ducting is dirty! and is it still useful after cleaning? What about the space the old duct work takes up? How about asbestos. Many old duct work joints were sealed with asbestos tape and gluetin glue. (not good) All in all a retrofit your thinking about is most likely an expensive way to go. I'd start over with a cleared out building and fit to accomadate new equiptment.
    Anyway, bigugh
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I've used it a lot

and I love it. If it wasn't so damn exspensive I would use it exclusively for cooling. I'm located just North of Wash. DC and there are a lot of Historical houses, or just plain old houses that need a system that's less intrusive and the Unico fits the bill. Did one house and the guy was a member of the local historical society (or hysterical society, as he refers to them) and he liked the system I put in his historical house so much he recommended it through his society to put A/C in at Mount Vernon, George Washingtons old home. (The country's first George W.) Did I get to bid on it?? Noooooooooo, but the job was more than I could handle most likely, but it would have been nice to get an offer. Any questions E-mail me Wayco Wayne
  • Thanks for the reply

We have already done a heat gain for the space and know we need 4 tons of cooling. As to the existing ductwork for the gravity steam coils, we have no intention of removing them. The floor grates are part of the decor of the home and removing them would destroy the floors. Besides, they heat the rooms beautifully.
  • TGO_4
    TGO_4 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Wayne

I have started reading the manuals for the unico system and I may e-mail you when I have a better handle on them.
    Thanks for the offer.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Hi-Velocity air

Efficient, comfortable and quiet IF installed properly. Especially efficient in humid climates as they have an inherently greater capacity to remove latent heat.

EXTERIOR insulated metal mains (or ductboard) are recommended by Unico for the 5-ton unit. Round fiberglas mains are available for the 3-ton.

Proper sizing is critical for even comfort and quiet operation. Length of individual branch lines is critical. The "standard" is a 10' run. Shorter runs really shouldn't be used and longer runs must be converted to their 10' equivalent.

Outlet location is extremely versatile. All of the examples that I have felt are older two-story structures with separate up/down units and fairly high ceilings (10'-12'). All but mine use outlets in the floor at the 1st floor, ceiling of 2nd and floor of attic. I really can't tell a comfort/sound difference based on outlet location.

Only complaints I've heard deal with initial cost, noise and outlet location. Of course noise is quite subjective but kept to a minimum with proper design. While the sound doesn't bother me, it is a bit higher in pitch than with standard ducting. Some object to floor outlets as they are nearly irrestable to children with crayons & small toys.

Praise invariably includes even comfort at a higher-than-normal t-stat setting and low energy consumption.

Unfamiliar with Spacepack but design seems similar. Unico has exceptional technical info at their website, is customer-friendly and has an extraordinarily helpful engineering staff.

• Dale W.
    Dale W. Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hydronic and High Vel.

A perfect match.
    In our area, Northern Delaware, we have a lot of very large hyronic heated homes. I've installed about 100 Unico high velocity systems here. Most of these houses were built in the 20's and 30's. The noise level is usually the biggest obsticle to overcome. Contracors that do not want to change what they have always done will try to convince the homeowners that the Unico is very loud.
    Location of the air handler is crucial and the last few feet of each lead is crucial.
    Keep the air handler away from the master bedroom and don't make any sharp bend in the last few feet of any lead, if possible.
    Trying to keep the leads as straight as possible will sometimes lead to a less desireable location. I explain this to the homeowners and let them decide between astetics and noise.

Also keep in mind, cold air is dense, heavy. It will fall.
    I don't know of a heat gain calculation that takes this into concideration. I have developed my own multipliers for multi story homes with large open stairways.

Last, but most important. The person who needs to be most comfortable is the homeowner. Put the cooling thermostat is his/her bedroom.

Just like hydronics and radiant, high velocity is something not everyone does. Unfortunately, this also leads to some very poorly installed jobs that give this system a bad name.

Read the manual, follow the rules and you'll have no problems. Also, don't believe any of the manufactures reps on the time needed to install. These systems are labor intense. If you don,t take the time to seal all joints and well insulate everything, they will sweat and cause condensation problems.

Hope I've helped a little

Dale W.
  • Thanks Mike

I have to go back and check, but I think we would have to rectangular metal duct. Some of the steam mains are in the way of where I would like to put the main supply. I may be able to hug the ceiling with shorter supply. Have you used the perimiter loop set up? Did it make a big difference?
    Thanks
  • TGO_5
    TGO_5 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Dale

> A perfect match. In our area, Northern

> Delaware, we have a lot of very large hyronic

> heated homes. I've installed about 100 Unico high

> velocity systems here. Most of these houses were

> built in the 20's and 30's. The noise level is

> usually the biggest obsticle to overcome.

> Contracors that do not want to change what they

> have always done will try to convince the

> homeowners that the Unico is very loud.

> Location of the air handler is crucial and the

> last few feet of each lead is crucial. Keep the

> air handler away from the master bedroom and

> don't make any sharp bend in the last few feet of

> any lead, if possible. Trying to keep the leads

> as straight as possible will sometimes lead to a

> less desireable location. I explain this to the

> homeowners and let them decide between astetics

> and noise.

>

> Also keep in mind, cold air is

> dense, heavy. It will fall. I don't know of a

> heat gain calculation that takes this into

> concideration. I have developed my own

> multipliers for multi story homes with large open

> stairways.

>

> Last, but most important. The

> person who needs to be most comfortable is the

> homeowner. Put the cooling thermostat is his/her

> bedroom.

>

> Just like hydronics and radiant, high

> velocity is something not everyone does.

> Unfortunately, this also leads to some very

> poorly installed jobs that give this system a bad

> name.

>

> Read the manual, follow the rules and

> you'll have no problems. Also, don't believe any

> of the manufactures reps on the time needed to

> install. These systems are labor intense. If you

> don,t take the time to seal all joints and well

> insulate everything, they will sweat and cause

> condensation problems.

>

> Hope I've helped a

> little

>

> Dale W.

• TGO_5
    TGO_5 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Dale

You mentioned sharp bends at the end of a run, I would be running along a basement ceiling and then up through a 12" beam space to come out through the floor - any problem? You also mentioned sealing the duct, would regular mastic work on the slip & drive connections or would I have to use something else? Thanks for your help.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Perimeter loop

The system I designed had to use a weird "double branch." It took hours and hours of planning and some trial and error to achieve a system balanced to Unico specifications.

I've only felt one system with a full perimeter loop setup. To my senses it was the quietest and most balanced. The full main loop really is the ideal if at all possible.

You're GUARANTEED the exact same air pressure at the connection points of all of the branch runs. The only balancing remaining to be done is merely compensating for branch runs over 10'
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    tape

Dale, If you go with metal duct try the1402 foil grip
    tape its pricey but its seal,also cuts downs on the mess.
    don
  • Dale W.
    Dale W. Member Posts: 42
    Options
    UL181 tape

is what we use for all joints. Most of my installatons have been with the ductboard plenum. Originally I fabricated the duct into the 6-1/2" square plenums. I now use all round ducts because they seal better. It's tough to get all the corners on square and rectangular duct. I have also found some of the tapes stick better than others. Nashua works well. Venture tape won't even stick to itself.

I always tell the customer I'm using fiberglass ducts to obtain the quietest system. I ask them if they have any objections to the fiberglass and tell them I can quote metal wrapped ducts if they prefer.

With metal we use spiral duct.

Dale W.
  • Thanks for

all the advice. I will be going back to the job this week to compare unico vs conventional systems.
    Thanks Again
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    bend radius

If I understand the geometry you're describing, then you should be able to have a minimum 12in radius bend which should be fine.

The places I've been less than happy with the noise involve a 90deg bend in a 2x8 joist cavity (6in or less radius).

• RonS
    RonS Member Posts: 10
    Options
    UNICO

DONT GET FOOLED BY WHAT UNICO CALLS A 4 TON UNIT MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE MANUFACTURER LISTED OUTPUT BTU'S
This discussion has been closed.