Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing a new boiler

Options
John_11
John_11 Member Posts: 40
I have an unfinished basement and I am installing a new boiler (old was forced hot air)Do I need to put fireproof sheet rock above the boiler? If so how large of an area do I need to cover? I have never seen this but I was told it should be done.
Also does the Fire-O-Matic need to be directly above the boiler or can it be off the side some (within 1' from the end). Reason for this is because the old unit went all the way to the ceiling so the Fire-O-Matic had to be next to it. If it does need to be directly under it I will just have to use the current box as a junction box and move the Fire-O-Matic.

Thank you for your help. John

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    New install

All depends on which state you are in.Here in ma we no longer have to install sheetrock over system. Firomatic should be over the burner not boiler better safe than sorry,also use flare fittings with new firomatics and new oil line,I find going up and over to pump works find if not to long,over 50' Hope this helps!
  • John_11
    Options

I live in Vermont. Do you know if it is required here? Thanks
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    it depends on the town

what town are you in? My parents are in Rutland. A call to the fire dept. would be the best. Some towns don't care.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Why not

get a sheet, hang it, and cover your bases. Some home inspector, some day may "write you up" for not having it installed. Sounds like a "depends on the inspector" type of call :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John_11
    Options

Your right I should just get a sheet and hang it, and get it over with so it deos not come back to me later.
    Thanks for you help. John
This discussion has been closed.