Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new heat/AC system in old farmhouse

Options
joel_5
joel_5 Member Posts: 2
I'd like some advice.

My wife and I just bought an old farmhouse on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. Rambling, add-ons, about 2000 Sq-Ft. on very tight crawl-space under older half of house, the rest on concrete slab. 7-ft ceilings. Old part 2-story, new part 1-story.

Heat-pump and duct system? New "ductless" systems from Mitsubishi or Sanyo? Hot water baseboard heat and wall-thru AC units? We don't know what's best.

Looking for pros and cons. We got one bid for ducted heat-pump system--3 choices ranging from $12,000 to $16,000. Seems high and I don't like hot dry air blowing on me anyway, though the guy said they can direct vents to avoid that.Waiting for other bids on other systems.

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Joel
    Joel Member Posts: 8
    Options
    bids

you really can't compare bids on all this as your talking apples to oranges. We sell hot air and heat pumps . however there is no question a good hydroic system will be more comfortable and cheaper to run. Up here we actually do a good bit of biusness every year REMOVING hot air systems and heat pumps and relacing them with some type of hydronic system.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    ac

another choice since you need ac in that area would be a groundsource system .
This discussion has been closed.