Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new insulation

Options
Bruce
Bruce Member Posts: 27
I finally found the product name that was talked about a few months ago here on the wall.Super therm. Has anyone used this .Maybe this is made from pearlite. they call it cearmic beads.Any input would be helpful.
Thanks Bruce

Comments

• Bruce
    Options
    new insulation

This is the third time I have sent this message I hope it does't appear three times
    A few months ago here on the wall someone was talking about a new insulation Mda from ceramic beads R- in 1/4"? Does anyone remember whay this was called or the web site Has anyone tried it ?Is it expensive? Sounds too good to be true.Any info. would be helpful
    Thanks Bruce
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    pearlite insulatoin

Its been around for years. Used today in liquified nat. gas tanks. to hold the shape of the tank shell while under vaccum bottle conditions. It can be poured in to cavities like cider block voids after the blocks are laid! Look
    at (place) pearlite insulation in the search block on google. bigugh
  • Bruce
    Options
    not pearlite

This product has not been around very long and it suppose to have an r value of about 20 in 1/4"
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    I've seen the stuff too

Actually its been around a long time... I bet I saw it twenty years ago. It was expensive then, however, I really wonder how expensive when you need so little to do the job. It may be the VHS/ Beta thing, Beta was much better but VHS captured the market.

Boilerpro
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Source

This looks like the real thing. Link below for a sprayed product that has some thickness and "real" insulative properties. Recommended for built-up roofs, steam pipes, ductwork, etc. Likely quite expensive.

There are some additives for standard paint based on the same hollow ceramic beads, but their insulative claims seem rather hyped as they are essentially a radiant barrier. I guess it's possible that an interior coating of such paint could block some radiant transmission from inside the room into the wall cavity and that an exterior coat could block some solar transmission from the outside.

http://thermalprosystems.com/
  • Unknown
    Options
    I found this site, too.

http://ceramicadditive.com/850.html
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Definitely not Pearlite

Pearlite is volcanic glass (obsidian) that has been heated until it expands sort of like popcorn. Can't remember the name but a similar product is made from mica. Both have been in use for a very long time.

The hollow ceramic beads are a specially manufactured product--difficult to make and exceptionally expensive until recently. Still expensive and hard to make but, like most things, the more common it becomes, the less is costs.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Options
    Thanks Mark!

Awful when you can remember the raw material and the manufacturing process but forget the name! Sort of like remembering your last conversation with someone two years ago but have no clue about their name.

Me head gets too full sometimes...
This discussion has been closed.