Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Glycol question

Options
kevin_5
kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
Okay guys, I know that most of the time you get what you pay for, and it's cheaper to do it right than to do it over; but is there any difference between standard RV antifreeze and the seven to nine dollar a gallon stuff they sell me for snowmelt? I have quite a few gallons that I picked up on clearance one spring for about a buck a gallon. Is it going to "turn to nothing" or coat my heat exchanger with something bad?

I've read both the labels, and they only say "propylene glycol". If there are some kind of fancy additives or harmful things they don't appear on the label.

Any ideas? thanks much in advance. Kevin

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    from what I

gather, in the Cryotek there are corrosion inhibitors and pump lubricants to help out your components.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Don't do it Kevin

RV antifreezes can actually increase the threat of corrosion. The inhibitior package in hydronic glycols is what you are paying for. Glycols produce organic acids, without inhibitors they will cause the ph to drop to dangerous levels, up to 2-1/2 times plain water!

Stay away from automotive anti freezes also. They are blended for a different application and contain silicates (for aluminum protection) they will coat and foul heat transfer surfaces in your boiler, and shorten pump seal life.

Remember also, Hydronic glycols get diluted 35- 40% so the cost isn't $9.00 per actual gallon.

Dowfrost HD is the brand I use. It has the best and strongest inhibitor package of any I have found.

The system MUST be cleaned first, and I would recommend only DI water for the final blend. Blend water of poor quality will use up the inhibitors from the get go, leaving your system un-protected. You really do get what you pay for with hydronic anti freezes. Properly cared for hydronic glycols should last 20 years!

Ethylene glycols (Dowtherm) are still used also. They actually have a better heat carrying ability, just keep it away from pets :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    RV Pink

The RV stuf is safe for use in potable systems ( Winterizing vacation home water lines or RV's). The hydronic ones are not to be used in potable systems as they are said to contain aditive packages to help increase their useful life in the system. By the way DOW's literature says that theirs is the best
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    I was afraid of this

I just got my cheap stuff loaded in the pickup and was going to check the wall before I left. My wife came out of the house and said, "Hotrod says,'don't do it.'"

So out of the pickup it comes, and I'll use the expensive stuff. But looking ahead, I don't think I can afford the "cheap stuff".

Thanks for the help guys. If you know any website where I can educate myself real well on this topic, please let me know. Anybody have a REALLY big camper? Winter's on it's way! Kevin
  • Chris_4
    Chris_4 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    what is the proper

PH level of the water when adding Glycol to the system?

I know the dilution should be around 30 to 40%, just wondering about the PH, and how often it should be checked

I am new to Glycol, and freezing climates. average winter temp here is 10* below. previous climate was about 60* all year. what a change!!!

thanks

Chris
This discussion has been closed.