Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Getting your price

Options
Mad Dog
Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
How sweet it is......when you don't back down on your price and you still get the job. Another job on the board! Had another guy today, gave him price on a large plumbing and heating project in March.....never heard from him until today...." I'd like you to come look at the job again (oh, sure another 3 hours lost)I need you to start next week, and oh, you HAVE to do better on the price!!!!!" Sorry, Sir, we have a 6 week waiting list right now!!!!!!!! Hee Hee...HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!!!!!!! Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    some guys..........

have no compasion for the ignorant. If you drop your price, the the cust. wonders how much profit did you want to make in the beginning? Did anyone ever ask a doctor or lawyer for a discounted price? I think not. The first price is the last price. You take it, or I'll leave it. Period, the end. Good work doggie!
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    another example

My dad wanted to but a truck. He knew exactly what he wanted. Visited 3 dealerships, told them his specs, asked for their best price, told each one what he was doing and best price wins.

Several days after he purchased from the winner, one of the others called:

"have you purchased your truck"

yes - xxx beat you by $2k

"I'm sure we can beat that"

You don't understand - I already bought the truck. And I'm glad I didn't buy from you since you lied to me.

"Why sir! Whatever do you mean?"

You said it was your best price and now you're saying it
    wasn't. You lied to me.

The guy never did seem to understand.
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    best price

Your point is well taken and I appreciate the way your Dad handled it. Unfortunately, your Dad did not get the BEST price, probably by a lot.

Steve Levine Slant/Fin
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    perhaps, but

perhaps not the best, but not by a lot

This was 10-12 years ago, no trade, he was reasonably aware of dealer costs (including pack) so he evaluated the low offer in absolute terms as well as relative to other offers.

My post was intended to support the earlier observation that you do yourself a disservice by coming down from original price.

But is it any wonder that people expect to "negotiate" HVAC pricing when that's what so many other businesses seem to encourage it?
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    You have to sharpen your pencil on this one

Ya know, my pencil was sharp the first time I did the bid.

Good for you Mad Dog.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I hate the term \"sharpen your pencil\"

Because what I hear from a coustomer is, I dont give a damn about your ability and knowlege, I dont care about you making a profit so you can be here next year. I dont care about the fact that you get all the proper permits and inspections. I dont care that you install quality product. All I care about is the cheepest price for me. That is what I hear when a carpenter tells me to sharpen my pencil

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Getting your price

Went to a house last week and customer showed me 2 bids for a steam replacement and told me I needed to beat them. I checked boiler and piping to see what was needed,then went upstairs and measured all radition in house. Went back 3 days later with my proposal which was $600.00 more than other two and was given a deposit to start the job.Why? this was an older woman who called her brother because she thought it was odd that I needed to check radition,the other guys didn't and maybe was checking out the house to see what to steal! Well her brother told her I was the only one who knew what I was doing because I did measure radition and to pay me whatever I wanted. Doing it right always pays off in the end.
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options
    two ways to

spell. sale sell. Pick one. You picked the right one!
This discussion has been closed.