Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heating

Andy Morgan_2
Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
What is the most cost effective way to control three seperate rooms off of one manifold? I would like to use floor sensors tied into the telestats on the manifold, but I am not sure of what control to use. The radiant is just for floor warming.

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106

How many loops per room? If it is one loop per room that is easy with manifold mounted telstats. I wish someone would make a manifold splitter that would allow several loops on one manifold port. Here is one idea I had.

If not you would need to wire a number of telestats together to operate several loops.

I use a basis setpoint control for floorwarming. Goldline, Ranco, Johnson Controls, Heat Timer, and others make inexpensive digital ones. Go for one with an adjustable differential. I mount them in the mechanical room to allow the homeowner acess to them for fine tuning, should the be inclined :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Stadler makes

a Y fitting to split one manifold port into two loops.

kf
  • Chris Maderia
    Chris Maderia Member Posts: 120
    Peace of Cake

If your using Wirsbo, bring your loops back to your manifolds, then using telestats on each loop wire them in series their for each zone/room to either their 3 or 4 zone control module. Use their setpoint control as your therm. This will allow them to all open and/or close at the same time. If you can get ahold of their CDAM the wiring diagram is in there This is a very simple wiring and piping scheme.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Expensive cake

Lets say you have 4 seperate zones. Each zone has 3 loops. You would need 12 telestats and a large enough transformer to power them. At $40.00 a pop = $480.00

Or you could use a spliter, if the gpm requirement is in line with the manifolds branch capacity. 3- telestats $120.00

Or three off the shelf zone valves for say $60.00 each = $180.00, with copper or brass manifolds with the correct number of ports.

I will say the brass or stainless manifolds with rows of telestats look nice, either method will serve the purpose.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Flow direction

Does it make a difference to the operation of the telestat valve if the flow is going the other way? Danfoss TRV's will chatter and moan. I've never tried doing anything different with a telestat type valve.
This discussion has been closed.