Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

KW to Therm Equation

Options
I have a client that is set on installing and electric boiler rather than gas, he has a 2700sqft home that is now in plan check. He is installing 5KW photovoltaic system on the roof and he is convinced that he is paying more for gas than electric. In California this simply isn?t the case. Dose any one have the conversion from of Therms of gas to KW? Could any one point me in the right direction to get info on an electric Hydronic boiler?
My recommendation to the client was to install a gas boiler and apply his electric credit to his gas bill (Keep it simple)

Comments

• Jason Proctor
    Jason Proctor Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Price analysis for electric boiler

I have a client that is set on installing and electric boiler rather than gas, he has a 2700sqft home that is now in plan check. He is installing 5KW photovoltaic system on the roof and he is convinced that he is paying more for gas than electric. In California this simply isn?t the case. Dose any one have the conversion from of Therms of gas to KW? Could any one point me in the right direction to get info on an electric Hydronic boiler?
    My recommendation to the client was to install a gas boiler and apply his electric credit to his gas bill (Keep it simple)
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Just math!

There are 3,415 btu's in a KW of electricity.
  • Eric
    Eric Member Posts: 95
    Options
    gas

also need 1 scf gas is 1021 Btu.

If you really want to show energy use use government energy data. Search for "navfac P89" on internet. This is bin hour weather data. It shows how many hours each year at each temperature for different cities. Can calculate yearly energy use.
  • kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    KW to Therm

1 KW = 3,412 BTU's 1 therm of natural gas = 100,000 BTU's.

This means that 1 therm = approx. 29.31 KW.

So 29.31 X $/KW compared to $/therm should give you a pretty accurate comparrison. However keep in mind that electricity is considered 100% efficient and natural gas is 94% or less depending on heat source.

hope this helps.
    kf
This discussion has been closed.