Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler StopLeak - No Laughing (out loud)

Options
Cold too
Cold too Member Posts: 7
My hot water (hydronic heating) boiler appears to have a crack in it. It drips continuously. just over the pilot (go figure). Doesn't seem big enough to spray unless it is up where I can't see. Also doesn't apear to be around the piping.

Question is - is there a stopleak type product for boilers that might get me through another winter? Has anyone tried automotive stopleak?

SHHHHH - I bet that is not one that passes plumbing code!

Cold too

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Cold too, do you REALLY want to chance it?

Mosr plumbing supply houses have a "stop leak" product on their shelves.

Could it be that last winter was the "another winter" for the boiler?

The stop leak might work for a while but have you thought about what a big pain in the you know what it will be for you if it let's go on the coldest night of the year?

Don't want you to have to change your e-mail address to "Too Cold"!!!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Cold too
    Cold too Member Posts: 7
    Options
    No...but (Warng: Hard Luck story)

I'll save it.

And thank you for the reply.

Anyway, was wondering about chances of sealing 10%, 30, 60? Any experience on how long - 2 months, 6?
    And any favorite brand or personal experience? I guess I know it is a crap shoot, just wondered if anyone had ever won it?

cold too
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Crack repair

If you are married and your wife knows about this and you don't replace it now, come 2:00 am Jan.6 2003 thier will be hell to pay. Bite the bullet and replace it this sept. You will sleep better for sure in the big bed!
  • I didnt use it for the boiler , but

Base Hit , made by Hercules I think , I used on my leaking copper radiant . It got me through a cold winter and that was it . After switching to baseboard , Im seriously considering trying to fix it again .
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    In Denver...

it is illegal to use any kind of boiler repair liquid. ANY!!

Hope you're not in Denver, Too... Either...Also...

Sometimes stop leak plugs up things that aren't supposed to be plugged up, like the make up tappings and relief tappings...

Oh, and did I forget to mention that we have financing? Johnnie Wirsbo set me up wid it.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ryan
    ryan Member Posts: 23
    Options
    stop leak

I have used stop leak in an emergency to get someone by and then get to the problem as soon as possible. It is only a temporary fix at best. I must admit I did add some to a boiler many years ago and the homeowner agreed to replace it soon. Well I never got the job and the house was sold. I was called for an inspection and this is many years later and expected to see a new boiler and here was the old one still there. I advised the new owner the situation and as far as i know it is still there. that has to be one for the record books
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Being cold may not be your worst

problem. Went on a call a few winters ago.....HO had been "gettin' by " with the Stop-leak stuff for a few winters..wanted to know if we could weld it (or another band-aid solution)for now. What happenes with those products is that they hold for a while, but without warning the boiler begins to leak again. In this house, the process had happened over and over again,. and all the gas burners were cyrstallized like stallagtites...you wouldn't believe the CO readings!!!!!!! After spending an hour explainuing this to this man, I still coul;d not convince him that he needed a new boiler. He never even asked price either....just a knucklehead. Before I left, I shut the gas cock and made him sign our invoice, that we had condemned the boiler and it was his responsibilty. Mad Dog

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    fix my leak

When my dad retired I inherited a lot of poor customers. I used a Solder Seal dry product that you mixed w/water, more than once. If the crack is slight, it will work. Just follow the instructions. After a few days you should take apart the small control piping, pig tails and such and make sure they are clean. Sould also check these regularly during the heating season. This stuff is thick and flakey and could plug up something that shouldn't be plugged. You could be creating a safety hazard and putting someone in harms way.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Appears to have a leak

or has a leak. It could be coming from a connection or "under the hood" air vent. Best to find out for sure before you dive in with chemicals. I'm not a big fan of chemical fixes for cracked components, especially considering the safety issues others have mentioned.

Bite the bullet and fix it right, if indeed you have a crack :)

hot rod

• canuckDale
    canuckDale Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Oatmeal

One of my old steamhead fitters (Hi Fred), used to call Solder Seal "Oatmeal". It looks like it when you mix it. He also said - would you drink boiler water? No? Then why would you feed your boiler oatmeal??

frank is right on with sludge in LWCOs, pressuretrols and pigtails.

Then there is "BarsLeak". The automotive rad seal. Just never seemed to keep me away from the rad shop? Most times, didn't get me through winter neither.

I going to the doctor tomorrow in fact. I have this honkin growth on my thumb. The med book says not good stuff but not mastisizing either. Had it for 3 months. Used the Compound 'W' stuff several times. Froze it too with liquid propane from my burnzematic! Get my drift?

Bandaids are great for little leaks/problems. Funny thing though....never seen a leak get smaller? ;-)
  • John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Speaking of Oatmeal

They used to use oatmeal as a boiler seal.

jcg

• jerryb
    jerryb Member Posts: 113
    Options

Don't know where you live,but see if you can find a stable by your house.Mix it up and pump it in.The best!!!!!!!!
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    My grand pappy...

used to tell me that egg whites worked to stop a leak in a automobile radiator. Not sure how many cartons it would take to seal up a boiler though...

ME

• canuckDale
    canuckDale Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Eye of Newt

Well....the same old steamhead Fred said to put pepper in the leaky auto rad and that would stop the leak??

Good thing they didn't have those 'all you can eat' smorgasboard places back then! We'd be replaceing CIS's filled with chicken fried rice!

;-)
This discussion has been closed.