Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G IAS - MJStraw

Boilerpro
Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
B&G spells out quite clearly in thier bladder tank installation instructions never to connect a bladder tank to the bottom of the piping ( system debris will damage the bladder), but they are now designing thier IAS to encourage just this type of piping...All I can do is shake my head.

Boilerpro

Comments

• Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    B&G IAS - changed?

I seem to remember reading somewhere (here?) that B&G changed their inline air separator and removed one of the tappings - like the 1/2in one on the bottom?
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    The new wall finds all there is under \"search\"

B&G "caves" IAS changed... Boilerpro
    If you type this in under the "search" option you'll find your item good luck bigugh
  • Boilerpro
    Yes they changed it

Instead of a 3/4 inch tapping it is now a 1/8 inch tapping on top. Now you have to connect the compression tanks to the bottom tapping just like all the others and just wait for any junk in the system to collect in the tank and puncture the diaphragm. Do you know of any others in smaller sizes that have the 3/4 inch tapping on tap,( or at least a 1/2 inch)? I now pipe my tanks to the top tapping to avoid the above problem, but B&G caved and lowered thier standards to those of others.

Boilerpro
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    I wonder if

there is still some old stock available out there with the old-style tappings?

It's also curious that all the documents on B&G's web site still show the 3/4 tap on top.
  • Boilerpro
    Not if I get to it first!

Know of any alternatives? My B&G rep is looking to see if you can turn the unit upside down and use the "bottom" 1/2 inch tapping on top. I've found the B&G orifice type design in thier IAS works much better than the air scoop design. I hope someone form B&G is reading this.

Boilerpro
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Both versions available

I submitted an "ask red" question about this on B&G's web site. They aparently redirected it to my regional rep who responded that two versions are available:

IAS - original

IAS400 - 1/8 top tapping

• Boilerpro
    My rep said...

that the old units are bding discontinued and are only on the spec sheets until they run out of stock. I hope I'm wrong!

Boilerpro
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    don't think you are

Continued "dialog" with my rep prompted him to check with B&G (what a concept :-) and they "will phase out the
    3/4" connection IAS as inventories deplete".

stock up while you can...
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    B&G IAS

In my catalog there is no 3/4" at all, they all start at 1" and go up. I don't believe the IAS has a baffle inside so it doesn't matter how you put it as long as it's horizontal. The TACO is baffled to (supposedly) trap the air and direct it out the top opening. I always go up at least one size to slow the velocity down as much as possible and read the fine print, if the inlet fitting is a street elbow don't look for the separator to be very effective. The best separators are the EAS (bottle brush) or a rol-air-trol. The TACO version is a cheap copy because the inlet/outlet are in line so there's no centrifugal movement to separate the air. Lastly, if you really look at flow, velocity and your system you can usually pipe a separator that's as good or better than the Cast iron monster.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    not thru size

The 3/4 we're talking about isn't the thru size but rather the top tapping. With a pressure tank it can be used for an air vent which requires a 3/4 x 1/8 bushing. With a steel tank this is used for the tank line. B&G is changing the product by making this tapping 1/8 in the casting so there will be no way to use it with a steel tank.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    RETROFIT

Did they change the casting? ( Haven't seen the new version) How a bout drilling and tapping it out if the metal is still there?
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Dan's book

> B&G spells out quite clearly in thier bladder

> tank installation instructions never to connect a

> bladder tank to the bottom of the piping ( system

> debris will damage the bladder), but they are now

> designing thier IAS to encourage just this type

> of piping...All I can do is shake my

> head.

>

> Boilerpro

• Mark J Strawcutter
    Dan's book

"Pumping Away" shows attaching a bladder tank to the bottom, as do the IAS documents on the B&G web site.

curious
  • Boilerpro
    Mark, take a look at the commercial installation

instructions...you'l see a different piping layout. I believe they talk about system debris collecting in the tank if it is piped from the bottom in these instructions. I'v only recently changed my own piping to account for this. On the IAS I plug the bottom tapping, come of the top with a 3/4 inch nipple and tee. Another nipple comes off the side of the tee to the tank and on to the pressure reducing valve. Then I put my air vent on top of the tee.

Boilerpro
  • Dan Schaffer
    Dan Schaffer Member Posts: 6
    IAS

B&G did recently make a change to the 1" and 1-1/4" IAS air separators reducing the top connection from 3/4" to 1/8". This change was made to allow a 1/8" #400 vent to be connected to the top and a diaphram tank to be mounted below. The use of diaphram tanks in residential systems is more common these days. However, if you have a system using a compression tank, you have a couple of options.
    The IAS 1-1/2 and larger sizes still have the 3/4" top connection. The EAS air separator also has a 3/4" top connection. By the way, the castings were not changed on the 1" and 1-1/4" IAS sizes, the boss for the 3/4" is still there.

The B&G instructions V57083 for diaphram tanks show the diaphram tank installed directly on the bottom of the IAS. The B&G instructions A10300 for ASME pressurized tanks, which shows commercial installations using Rolairtrols, does recommend side connections to prevent the possibility of debris collecting.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Thanks for posting

Nice to get the info from the source. Come visit us again!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    As Dan said

thanks for stopping by, and don't be a stranger!

> B&G did recently make a change to the 1" and

> 1-1/4" IAS air separators reducing the top

> connection from 3/4" to 1/8". This change was

> made to allow a 1/8" #400 vent to be connected to

> the top and a diaphram tank to be mounted below.

wouldn't a bushing acomplish the same thing?

> The use of diaphram tanks in residential systems

> is more common these days. However, if you have

> a system using a compression tank, you have a

> couple of options. The IAS 1-1/2 and larger

> sizes still have the 3/4" top connection.

that's good to know

> The EAS

> air separator also has a 3/4" top connection. By

> the way, the castings were not changed on the 1"

> and 1-1/4" IAS sizes, the boss for the 3/4" is

> still there.

so drill/tap is an option, too

Mark
This discussion has been closed.