Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to put return for garage/office

Options
kevin
kevin Member Posts: 420
Do you have to go with a Hot Air system? Could you go w/ a hot water system(which I think is better-BTW)and for your A/C needs go w/ a "window unit" or two. Is that how i understand your situation, Needing heat and a/c?
good luck kevin.

Comments

• Ed_2
    Ed_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Where To Put Return In Garage Office

Hi,

I have recently built a garage with an attached office and bathroom. A heat and air system was installed to condition both the garage and office area. Due to fire and corbon monoxide danger, there cannot be a return air in the garage, only in the much smaller office. Consequently there is a balloon effect in the garage, with no where for the conditioned air to go.
    Any ideas, other than two separate systems?

Ed
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Hi Ed.

If I was your heating contractor I would recommend two seperate systems.

CO is nothing to fool around with and I can't imagine that you would want the garage the same temp as an office.

If a return is added to that garage you will definately pull CO from that area into the other rooms.

It may cost more money for two systems, but I'm willing to bet that your family thinks you're worth it!!

Health and safety come first.

Hope this helps!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options

If I am not mistaken, it is a code violation to have any registers in a garage connected to a system that serves an occupied area such as your office. This is due to the fact that the car exhaust could get into the supply registers when the system is off and get into the other areas served by the system. You have to have a separate system to heat, and cool if desired, the garage.
  • Canuck
    Canuck Member Posts: 57
    Options
    May not be

very efficient but what about a wall louvre with a back draft damper to 'dump' air when barometric goes high in the garage.
This discussion has been closed.