Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Got stiffed by (Tankless)

the "big boxes" yesterday!!!

Emergency call to a lady's 4/bath home. Water pouring through the ceiling. Dropped everything, ran over, shut the water off to the gas water heater in the 130 degree attic. Drained it, and got her calmed down.

"Please get me one of your Takagi T-K1's as fast as you can". She has four college girls staying at her home.

Called my buddy/supplier Darrell Thomas after hours, he pulls a T-K1, gets the invoice & ups label ready for immediate shipping the next morning.

At noon the next day, she calls and cancels because "I found another tankless for less than $500 at HD". Someone there told her this is all you need, and that other guy is gouging you!

The thing is, I gave here a great price because she was in a position of influence to help me do business with our university.

Oh well, I'll do what Sir David of Broome advises: Learn the lesson, stop whining and move on.

Next week, she'll call and tell me that the little AquaStar from HD isn't working very well, what should I do.

I know what I'd like to tell her to do, but I won't.

Y'all have a great day.

Brian (Tankless) in Swampland.

Comments

• You're a prince, Swampy

We know you are and your family know you are; and that's what counts.

All the best,

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • keith
    keith Member Posts: 224
    stuff happens

How would you like to ship equipment and material to a job, meet the builder at the new home and he informs you that the ductwork layout that was agreed to and used to form the estimate is N.G. The new layout would require considerable additional labor and material. My position was no problem we will adjust the price upwards. Guy freeks out and cancels the job. Was I unreasonable to seek more $ for more work? This is with a signed contract in hand. Swallowed my pride, took all my stuff and left empty handed ($). Goodby and good ridance, he would have been a jerk untill the end.
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Of course not,

Seek more money for more work, why that's outrageous.

He operates his business to make a profit. Why do they always expect you not to make a profit.

You certainly did the right thing. Align yourself with the right people. I know it is not always possible to really know who you are dealing with, but once they show their true colors. Run.

You did the right thing getting out of that project. You don't want every job.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Don't take it personally!!!!!!

and I know that's hard....if she calls, very calmly and politely, lecture her on the error of her ways and if she takes that, and still wants you to come back, charge her accordingly - aggravation charge included. I used to get all worked up too, but you just have to be calm and business-like about it. You'll feel vindicated, and well-compensated to boot Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Did it last year./..felt good

walked away with my honor and dignity. Was alittle nervous cause times were a bit quiet, but didn't let it stop me. Nice job came in 2 days later. That contractor has been dead slow now for months, and we're very busy. It's not all about money. Mad Dog

• That's the way

I'll handle it.

What she doesn't realize is (and HD didn't tell her) the AquaStar needs a 5" flue to extend higher (through a larger, more costly roof jack) than the 4" for the T-K which is fan-assisted.

After paying for all the extra "stuff", she'll pay more for a smaller (bargain) water heater.

Funy how that works, Hmmmmm.

As they say, one door closes and another-----> opens.

Take care out there.

Swampster.

• hey swampey

is not a wonder how smart folks can be less than smart when it comes to these things!! "well that 19 yr old expert at the DYI center told me" how can they miss the point, when this comes out they may be a little bit wiser.

my best customer are the ones that tried to "save" one way and it backfired (learning curve) i guess!!
  • The $$$$

"We tried to talk it over, but the $$$$$$ got in the way".

I'm an old hippie, but weren't the Carpenters great.

Happy Birthday Shurff Murph.

From one Swampster Leo to all Leo's out there. Have a lovely Sunday.

(No one on the Island has more than one syllable in their first name, I love it...how y'all are Boo?)
  • KevMcG_2
    KevMcG_2 Member Posts: 6
    HD

I had a call a few months ago looking for a price on a 75 Gal. gas water heater. About a week goes by and he calls back looking for someone to solve a leak in a ceiling I never asked about the water heater but he mentioned he had HD do it, they were cheaper. I told him to call HD to solve his leak and hung up.
  • Bob Anderson
    Bob Anderson Member Posts: 2
    Tankless

Not that we usally put our name out here - but I thought that I would drop a note.

An AquaStar 240FX (T-K1) is a power-vent unit, electronic igintion, 4-inch flue - 5 gpm that sells for about $899 at HD and our site too (www.houseneeds.com)

The Aquastar 125B (the one HD sells mostly) has a standing pilot, 5-inch gravity vent and will put out about 3.2 gpm - this sells for about $479 on the street.

Ok - yes a big difference - but the 240FX will give you enough hot water for 2 showers - the 125B enough hot water for one shower. The 125B will use about $30 to $40 a year in energy just to run the unit. So - there is no comparison between the two for output and efficiency. This is why the price diff was so high.

I guess - compare a Miata to a Ferria - yes they are both sports car - but that's where the comparison ends.

Anyway - sorry for your problem - we get it too.

This discussion has been closed.