Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Design Help

Options
mixer440
mixer440 Member Posts: 7
Hi folks:

I've been around this website trying to gleen information for over a year. Some of you may know me by my questions and problems, and I know many of you by your comments and expertise.

To make a long story short, I need to find someone who would be willing to help me design a system (control, pumps...etc) that will work with my existing boiler/pipe system.

The existing setup does not work correctly and in essence this would be a repair/replacement job using much of the existing equipment and piping.

I live here in SLC, UT and have made many calls over the last year. I've found that either the contractors don't want to do repair work or they are simply unqualified.

At this point I plan to do it myself using a design (unless someone knows a decent, qualified contractor in my area).

It's possible that this could be done entirely over the "net".

I'm open for suggestions.

Mike

mbmiles@xmission.com

Comments

• antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Find A Contractor

Did you try the link on top of this page?
    Just type in your zip and i'm sure there will be someone in your area to help with your project.
    hope this helps.

Ant

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Also check the RPA

they have a local chapter in Salt Lake. Very capable contractors in the group. Bill MacDonald at 801-486-6505 could get you a list of #s

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • mixer440
    Options
    Find a contractor?

I've tried that. Mark E. and company in Denver is the closest one (350+ miles away). Utah has a lot of contractors listed and I've called what I think and have been told are the best. However, "the best" don't like repair stuff and prefer new installations (they must be making lots of money with lots of jobs). The rest don't know much about hot water heating.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    in a nutshell....

What do you have and what do you want?
    Kevin
  • mixer440
    Options

Here's the summary:

1960's iron pipe radiant system using long loops of 1" and 3/4" pipe. Currently all hooked to a WMcLain boiler using a Taco relay control, a Grundfos Brute 15-42 + a BG HV G10.

Problems--
    ---poorly designed near boiler piping
    ---condensation at boiler (cooler than I'd like for the return)
    ---velocity noise due to fast flowing water in iron pipe with a lot of bends and joints.
    ---one contractor did some secondary piping at the boiler with cavitation and severe noise(I disconnected the secondary pump). What a joker.

essentially a mess. Take a look at the photo.

Good news: My old system (installed in the mid 60s) prior to this joke was simply a single pump (BG big guy) pulling water around 3 loops "teed" together (over 2100 feet of pipe with over 60 gallons of water) and heated by a Ajax 180,000 BTU heater. It worked (although inefficient), for 30+ years.

If your interested in helping me develop a design, layout + piping, sizing, parts, location using some of what I have----your on. I have diagrams, photos, numbers....whatever would be helpful.
  • mixer440
    Options
    Thanks--Wow!

Wanted to say that this is where amazing things can happen on the net. I've had some people get back to me via email and hopefully we can work my "plumbing/heating mess" out.

Great website. I wish there was one as good for everything else I have to figure out on my own (my car, my hobbies, my poor aching body).

Thanks to all.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Hey I remember seeing that before.....Quite Unforgettable! NM

This discussion has been closed.