Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing

Options
Tim_14
Tim_14 Member Posts: 23
Do I size a hot water boiler to the connected load?

Exsample: the radiators come out to 168,000 btu.
Do I replace with a 250,000 in and 178,000 out?
Thanks
Tim

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    With Hot Water...

...size the boiler to the heat loss of the structure. Sizing it to the radiation (as with steam) would almost certainly result in a terribly oversized boiler.

For whatever reasons; added insulation, storm windows, change of fuel, change of lifestyle etc. hot water radiators are almost always ENORMOUSLY oversized. 2x - 3x oversized (assuming 170 degree average supply temp) is common.

The good part of this is that the rads run at a MUCH lower temp. As the rad temp drops the proportion of radiant to convective heat increases. This reduces drafts and increases comfort.

• Tim_14
    Options

Mike I bought the boiler all ready.
    If it is oversized how can I bail myself out
  • Tim_14
    Options

HELP
  • sizing

gas or oil??

who's make boiler??

what model??

• frank_2
    frank_2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    too large?

Some guys here may yell at me, but I've seen "Heating Engineers" from utility companies have a burner tube removed and plugged at the manifold. I'm guessing that if it's oil you could down-fire by using a smaller nozzle.
  • Bill Brobst
    Bill Brobst Member Posts: 4
    Options

Just use the finger rule. Its been a wile but it goes something like stand at the curb, hold hand arms length away and hold up fingers untill it covers the house. How ever many fingers you have up is how many section boiler you will need. Now, take that to your broker and loose it.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    \"Down firing\" ....i have tried

to get info. on doing this for both gas and oil but no manufacturer has been willing to say OK. All i get is a lot of no's And don'ts. (and maybe w/ good reason)
    I would get the boiler back to the supply house. Even if it meant paying a restock fee...
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    oversized boiler

If we come across oversized boilers that are short cycling, which is what will happen if it's already oversized, is to add a buffer tank. It's a solution to undersized boilers as well, so you have plenty of BTU's on hand to get a jump start on a heating load. It also eliminates the need to use primary/secondary piping. We like buffer tanks and try to use them on all the condensing boilers we install. Just make sure you get one with large enough taps if you have a specific flow rate you need for the boiler. We've been using Raypac's, you can get them up to 2'' taps for your boiler connections.

Steve M.
  • Tim_14
    Options
    SOLUTIONS to Sizing

Well,I must say, that since I have met Dan I have changed my ways What I desided to do was to return the boiler for the correct one no big deal. I can sleep better(when i have time)But thanks for all the imput.
    Tim Kosturko
This discussion has been closed.