Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

motorized valves for boiler feed systems

Options
rick
rick Member Posts: 5
could anyone recommend valves that are reasonably priced with end switches. to be used on low pressure steam 5psi for one pump to feed two boilers.

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Auto fill

What do you have now for equipment? Hard for one pump to fill two boilers due to one might use more water than other,but both would fill at same time.Do you have rec'd tank on line? Are you using lwco & auto fill now?
  • frank_2
    frank_2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    pumps, valves,etc

I'm also looking for that answer. MM reps weren't too helpful.. Going to contact Honeywell for the valves...One other thing, are you going to use spill traps. ( you need 'em if the two boilers share a common steam header) If it's an old vacuum system there are other considerations also. If ya need more help, ask here.
  • rick
    Options
    boiler feed motorized feed valves

installing two new fst 80 hp lead/lag has vac system,going to install makeup tank that vac pump will dump to. each boiler to have mm 150 to open motorized valves (one for each boiler feed), end switch to turn on makeup pump. need reasonably priced motorized valves for steam boiler application. any suggestions?
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Made up water

Rick , In the pass I have only used tanks that have two pumps one for each boiler wasn't alot more $ once you consider the cost for controls & valves. Hope this helps
  • Kevinj
    Kevinj Member Posts: 67
    Options
    boiler feed

I cleaned up a church a couple years ago with 2 boilers and 1 pump from the feed tank. You can install a motor valve for each boiler but then on pump faiure the whole system is down. I went with the duplex feeder and independent control with spill traps and all my feed trouble is gone. Two winters now without a feed related issue nor a flooded boiler. By the way these are staged to ambient and have a vacuum pump which dumps to the feeder.
  • rick
    Options
    boiler feed

> I cleaned up a church a couple years ago with 2

> boilers and 1 pump from the feed tank. You can

> install a motor valve for each boiler but then on

> pump faiure the whole system is down. I went with

> the duplex feeder and independent control with

> spill traps and all my feed trouble is gone. Two

> winters now without a feed related issue nor a

> flooded boiler. By the way these are staged to

> ambient and have a vacuum pump which dumps to the

> feeder.

• rick
    Options
    motorized valves on vac systems

thats interesting to know that you have installed two pumps in a vac system with no positive shut off. i guess it works because of the spill traps. there must be water sucking back into boiler, that is if vac system is producing vaccuum. questions:
    1. is vac pump creating vacuum?
    2. are the boilers cast iron or steel?
    3. what height did you set spill traps at?
    4. was there a vacuum equalizer on job?
    5. what is staged to ambient?
  • Kevinj
    Kevinj Member Posts: 67
    Options
    boiler feed

I left out one little detail on that installation !!! In place of motor valves
    I used spring checks set at 1.5# opening. 7" of vacuum is only 1/4# so that is
    my shut off. Motor valves are prefered but the church wished to keep the cost down and the spring checks were only about $300.00. Pump creates the 7" vac. Boilers are cast Weil Mclain. Spill
    traps are 1.5" over water line. Boiler 1 & 2 are staged to the ambient. There
    are also motor valves on the header branches with equalizers, checks & water
    seal. So in short I do not suck water into the boilers, the pump presure
    overcomes the spring checks and fills as needed. The spill traps only control
    the condesation build up in the off cycle boiler. Due to the way it is staged
    the #2 boiler only runs in january and February as the boilers are a might
    oversized.
This discussion has been closed.