Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil lines

Options
Todd_2
Todd_2 Member Posts: 1
I plan to place an outdoor tank near my shed. The distance is 100' from the boiler
locaton which is in the basement say 10' below tank elevation. Would running two oil
lines better than just one? Does 1/2 " copper sound adequate for 130btu?

Comments

• John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    long oil lines

As long as the oil tank is higher than the oil burner there is no need to run two oil lines. If the tank is close to ten feet (or more) above the height of the burner you must use an OSV or PRV at the burner to protect the pump seals. While 1/2" O.D. copper should work I would prefer to use 5/8 O.D.

jcg

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Outside Oil Tank Install

First let me say if you can put tank in basement,burners always like warm oil. But if you can't make sure to feed from top with line in tank about 2" from bottom.Also with the tank that high up I would use a anti-siphoning valve at tank , this will cost about $100.00 for valve but still cheaper than 100 gal. on basement floor.Most OSV valves don't like the cold and will stick closed when used outside,if installed insided it won't protect oil line failure which could leak into ground and cause even more trouble. Well nothing is ever easy is it. Good Luck
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I'm with jcg

one line from the bottom, sleeved, with an oil safety valve at the burner. The OSV's primary purpose is to protect the oil pump seal, sometimes if a tank is inside, with one burner, it can be at the tank to protect the oil line from accidental leakage too. Never outside..it can freeze. The biggest thing about above ground tanks is to pitch them to the outlet so water from condensation does not cause problems. I personally avoid any oil line lift situations for many reasons..

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    Options

I'm in Mass. & here all outside tanks must be top feed.Also what is to stop an oil line leak in ground? OSV will not pervent this from happening @ burner. This is why anti-Siphoning valve should be used when tank is above burner.This way the 100' underground oil line and pump would be protected,plus installer would be protected.
    Fact: Must oil leaks in ground are from oil lines not tanks, also OSV makers all want the valve as close to tank as possible just for this reason. I've know of a few clean-ups of over $100000 just for oil line leaks.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    True, but

here we are talking about the other application for the OSV..pump seal protection..in this case the tank is over 3 feet above the burner. In CT we can take off the bottom of outside tanks. I believe that this is better because then water buildup can be addressed. I know MA is a little tougher :)

• Bob Bona_4
    Options
    True, but

here we are talking about the other application for the OSV..pump seal protection..in this case the tank is over 3 feet above the burner. In CT we can take off the bottom of outside tanks. I believe that this is better because then water buildup can be addressed. I know MA is a little tougher :)

• John@Reliable
    Options

Hi Bob, You can bottom feed but need 2" fill & vent piping,we can still use 1 1/4" I did apt. complex with over 800' of pipe in Hartford gets heavy, anyway my main concern is any leaks this gives oil a bad name and I feel we should do anything we can to prevent leaks.I always have to order one from Ct. (of all places) for tanks like this job he was talking about.Anyway just my view.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    wow John

some job! How was that distribution piping? How many tanks? At least though, with an outside tank the 2" piping is minimal! Have you seen the 275 tanks with a 4" hole in the center? If the job has to be lined off the top, I try to get the customer to go for a Loop.

• John@Reliable
    Options
    Bob,Was job from hell

Was 13 buildings with 2 330 in each + 14" concrete walls, job from hell.Myself and 2 helpers did it in 6 days.I have seen 4" & 6" opening on AST but these are concrete covered tanks that we installed at some Tel. co buildings for emergency gen.I do like 2" deal but have only done it at my own house which I built last year, around here they never have 2" fills & vents so we use 1 1/4
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Mass. Top Feed Law

With all do respect to Mass. strict codes.Which I feel in their good meaning is to protect the public . I really feel their top feed law needs more thought. I understand their reasoning is to prevent a oil line from freezing , spliting ,thus empty the tank . But a top feed line could freeze , split and empty the tank with a syphon as well. Both set up's with a trap in their oil line "will" catch water and freeze. Now with a top feed , you know water will collect below it's oil line's. A nice supply ready to cause havac. Besides breeding sludge , rotting out the tank and freezing within. Seems as if both could have the same freeze problem , so why the law ? I feel the problem lies in the run of the oil line . Am I missing something ?

Now with this job with a far remote tank and 100 feet of oil line , it would be near impossible not to have a trap within the run .Next to the house having a short possible unexposed line you have a chance . Then I wonder....would the higher volume of oil running through a two pipe system be enough to prevent water from collecting in these traps ? Would this be a trade off for a return line problem .I think the basemennt location would be the best idea . Maybe inside the garage with contained buried lines below the frost line is another ? Just thinking........Maybe too much , I better get some sleep zzzzZZZZZzzzzzzz
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Great Thread!

I'm loving the oil experts input.John that does sound like a job from hell.12 330's is quite a bit of pipe work.In this heat to!What type of equalizing configuration do you use?I understand John you top feed but how bout Bob and big Ed.

I'm using saftey tank valves(equalizing line) that I cross over with a pair of swivel connectors(1/2" OD) and a flair tee to filter and then second saftey valve,filter and then burner.I have NFPA 31 and dont see any specific reference to the burner lines.

The 2 275's I piped this week are in a heated garage and are end to end.I have been piping the vents to match the fill line size for years.Also seeing that the NFPA allows minimum vent sizing of 1 1/4".The manufacturer of the tanks I installed label that the vent size is to be 2".With all of the accidents in tank filling that I have read at variousweb sites why does the code allow the "old standards"?

John nice to have 2 helpers!!I work alone and was literally a wet rag by days end.This is new construction and I hav been starting my day on the job @ 6:30 AM.Theroy has it that I will finish earlier........but we know how theroy works!

cheese
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

Hi Mike heading out your way in a min for a few weeks, need the break..... I perfer to bottom feed when I can , But If I top feed twins I equalize the bottom using two shut offs and a drain. The bottom line will plug up and may need to be cleaned and water drained off now and then . I would also twin the top oil lines as well. If the bottom plugs the oil lines will also equalize the tanks. Twin the return lines as well...... Got to go and get some QT..

This discussion has been closed.