Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion tank

Options
Leon
Leon Member Posts: 14
Which is best location to connect expansion tank for air removal.Have hot water oil fired boiler,with one cir. pump ,pumping away.Going to use old steel expansion tank.Should i connect at T on suction side of pump or should i connect on top of airscoop which is on suction side of pump.Wouldn't using good air vent on top of scoop be better and connect tank at T right past air scoop on pump suction line.Also have air vent on boiler.Thanks

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options

I would advise to spend the extra $25.00 - $30.00 and put on a bladder type x-tank well worth the $ Good Luck
  • Unknown
    Options
    compression tank

Air is released from water at it's highest temp and lowest pressure i think. I would connect to boiler itself.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I wouldn't

suggest an auto vent and an air cushion tank. The AV will let all the air for the cushion out and then you'll find out about waters' incompressability.

You can have an auto vent (should) with a diaphragmatic type of expansion tank, but not with an old ceiling hung tank with no diaphragm.

Tell tale sign is a pile of pressure relief valves laying in the corner... Perfectly good ones!

I'm a fan of getting rid of the old tank AND the air in the system. Whenever possible, I put in the newest technology. In your case, you'd get a new model 30 rubber diaphragm type expansion tank AND new auto vents.

If you're dead set (and broke) and want to keep the ol' tank hanging on the ceiling, then get rid of all the auto vents you have on the system and connect the expansion tank to the air outlet tapping on the air separator. You want to recover the air and send it back to the tank to maintain the compressible cushion. Aitrol fittings are also a wonderful invention...

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.