Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A quote from Richard Trethewey

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
Schematics for combined systems. Installation info for Munchkin "on demand" water heaters?? Who are these people?

hot rod

http://www.radiantcompany.com/

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    and scary specs

They certainly "design" from a different standard.
    Next they'll be quoting you HR
    Definitely "bag-o-parts" marketing
    And they are flying the RPA colours - go figure.
    Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Since you're now

an RPA board member, you'll take up the issue. I'm sure you'll get an earful of the "Restraint of Trade" concerns in preventing these kinds of companies from polluting the industry.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Unknown
    Options
    Guess what?

WELLESLEY, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 15, 2002-- Nexus Energyguide, a leading provider of e-CRM solutions to energy companies, is enriching its extensive web content and marketing options through a new partnership with Tom Silva and Richard Trethewey of This Old House(TM) and Ask This Old House(TM) TV Shows.

Historically, utilities have been viewed as just the company that runs the wires and electricity into the home. This is changing rapidly and utilities are becoming instead the expert source on all types of home services and issues.

Through the partnership, utilities can now offer expert advice on home heating, cooling and efficiency issues, capitalizing on the valuable name recognition of the This Old House brand.

This Old House is one of the top rated television shows in the nation with approximately 10 million monthly viewers. The show features on-location home repair and construction case studies and advice--including tips on energy management and efficiency. Several experts appear regularly to help solve home problems.

Two of the most recognized cast members are Tom Silva and Richard (Rich) Trethewey. Tom provides ongoing input on general contracting and construction issues and Rich contributes on HVAC, plumbing and energy efficiency topics.

Both Tom and Rich will work with Nexus to provide additional creative content to customers of Nexus' utility clients.

This will include a web-based "Ask The Experts with Tom & Rich of This Old House" column, where Tom and Rich will provide answers to saving energy and related questions asked by utility customers. Utilities can offer this functionality on a private label basis.

Similar content will also be available for electronic and print newsletters provided by Nexus, as well as in Nexus' CD-ROM based products.

In addition, utilities will be able to utilize Tom and Rich in other promotional activities. For example, to encourage customers to participate in an energy efficiency program, one Nexus utility client has offered their customers the chance to "Win a Free Home Visit from Tom and Rich of This Old House."

"We are tremendously excited to bring the benefits of this partnership to our utility clients," stated Harvey Michaels, CEO of Nexus Energyguide. "Nexus is focused on providing leading edge customer service and marketing solutions to the energy industry, including highly innovative energy-related content. Tom and Rich will enable us to enhance that content with practical advice based on years of experience. Moreover, the utility brand can benefit from association with nationally recognized experts that TV viewers look forward to listening to every week."

Tom Silva is excited also about working with Nexus. "Rich and I are very familiar with Nexus' history as a leader in helping consumers with energy issues, so it's great to be working with them and their partners to help people out," said Silva.

About Nexus Energyguide

Nexus Energyguide (www.nexusenergy.com) helps energy companies and other energy-related organizations enhance customer communications and relationships by delivering CRM solutions addressing energy management, customer service, and marketing services. Nexus' solutions improve customer retention and acquisition, produce revenue, and help lower customer service costs.

Nexus Energyguide has developed relationships with over 40 major utilities and energy companies nationwide serving nearly 50 percent of the nation's consumers and businesses.

In addition, Nexus has partnered with over 20 non-energy companies, including retailers, appliance manufacturers, service providers, real estate networks and others that wish to provide energy-related content and commerce to their customers.

Important Note

The partnership announced today is between Nexus Energyguide and Tom Silva and Richard Trethewey. The partnership does not include the participation, support, or endorsement of AOL Time-Warner, or the management of "This Old House". Neither Tom Silva, Rich Trethewey nor the "This Old House" series endorse specific products, companies, services or brands.
  • Mi39ke_2
    Mi39ke_2 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Mmmm...

Rich gave up the promotion of Viessmann for this?

Interesting stuff if it is true.

Mi39ke

> The partnership

> announced today is between Nexus Energyguide and

> Tom Silva and Richard Trethewey. The partnership

> does not include the participation, support, or

> endorsement of AOL Time-Warner, or the management

> of "This Old House". Neither Tom Silva, Rich

> Trethewey nor the "This Old House" series endorse

> specific products, companies, services or brands.

• David Van Wickler
    David Van Wickler Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Who are these people?

??? They're RPA members - They're mission statement is at the RPA site?
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    You know I

am a little slow on the uptake? What is this all about?
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options

Show me the money! tom & rich
    Didn't bob v. leave show because of something like this?
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    selling out

or capitalizing on an opportunity? Bob V. has done very well for himself. If Rich & Tom can do the same - more power to them. I only wish it wasn't aiding some huge compettitor of the hard working family-sized independent contractor.

• Don Robertson
    Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
    Options
    The scariest part is

the homeowner will be the one who suffers the most.
  • Henry_2
    Henry_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Rich and Viessmann

I cannot and do not pretend to speak for Richard, but he is still doing an amazing job for Viessmann on the east coast.
  • Duncan
    Duncan Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Very good question.

Because (s)he'll have high fuel bills and be chilly on the coldest day of the year?

I took a look at the site a couple days ago, and here's what stuck with me...

That they are located in Vermont makes them heating experts. Or did they simply say they knew cold? Or heat? I thought those were great qualifications!

But what I really liked was those spiffy aluminum foil "heat transfer plates"!

Ah, the days of solar heating miracles -with a twist- have returned! But I digress...
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Now, now Duncan...

mentioning solar heating miracles may be a bit harsh. Just because these people make claims and designs that are quetionable at best doesn't mean you can bash solar - I am interested in active solar heating and have been researching it for a while and have excellent passive solar in my own home. I could imagine a few Wallies will agree with me that solar is an excellent form of heat when properly applied - matches pretty darn good with radiant from what I've seen.

How about a form of space and hot water heating that is absolutely pollution free, pretty reliable (systems last 20 years in many cases), and is getting more affordable as time goes on? I'd call that a (minor) miracle.

Bash away on the companies that deserve it...don't just bash away at solar. I hope you were just using an analogy, or something...and you did degress. Just mt thoughts. Take Care, PJO

• Duncan_2
    Duncan_2 Member Posts: 174
    Options
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, .....and tin foil hats.

Patrick, I've installed and worked on many solar systems, from Trombe walls to draindown to drainback to closed loop and more. And I will personally testify to the longevity and benefits of active and passive solar. Actually, I really started hardcore hydronic heating when I began working for SunPower Inc. in Denver.

They were (are) a consumer-owned, non-profit organization. Started by a very gifted human being, John Proctor, who took it upon himself to help protect unwary consumers. He sponsored and taught educational seminars to help people understand how solar worked, how many btus to expect, advised customers to GET IT IN WRITING how much their heating bills would drop. The "one-size-fits-all" claims that were being made, like: "Save 40% on your heating bills!" really hacked him off. (We also did some heating efficiency studies for the State of Colorado, Low cost weatherization for the Office of Energy Conservation, worked with utility companies, and other stuff, too). We helped a lot of folks.

In the 80's in Colorado, you could get 40% federal and 30% state tax CREDITS for installing solar, up to $10,000 smackers. Instead of paying 10K in taxes, you could put 10K worth of solar heating in your home.

Needless to say, many unscrupulous solar snake oil salesmen surfaced to belly up to the trough of "free money", They made outrageous claims about performance and savings, and all kinds of wild gimmicks appeared, many with little hope of long-term survival and reliable functionality.

***The point I was trying to make was simply that I see the same thing happening with radiant floor heat. All kinds of gadgets and gimmicks are being promoted and exaggerated, claims being made to go along with them. There is a lot of crap out there mixed in with the good, exactly the same as it was in the hayday of solar heating.***

That's what I meant with my reference to "solar miracles". Not that solar was ineffective, just that ridiculous claims were being made. I see many similarites with radiant floor heating marketing. It has an appeal, there is money to be made, and that spawns a lot of quirky approaches to system design, which actually should be based on sound engineering and physics..

But like solar, well designed systems continue to provide comfort and trouble-free operation, DECADES after they were installed. The strong (and probably the simple) will survive.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, Patrick, sometimes I get too wordy and intricate.. I need to learn to state things more clearly and simply. Definitely did NOT mean to come off as harsh on solar heating - it works, and it lasts.

If the aluminum foil "heat transfer plate" thing doesn't pan out, maybe we can make 'em into tin foil hats. ;-)
  • Pat
    Pat Member Posts: 25
    Options
    radiant company

What does Rich Trethewey working with the Nexus Energy Guide have to do with the radiant company in Vermont? Just curious?
  • PJO
    Options
    No apologies needed...

Duncan. You sound as though you've been around the block a few times on solar heating :-)

Actually, I much preferred your second "wordy and intricate" response - it explained the situation much better. Actually, it may have been I who was too quick to "bite back".

Maybe you could give me some tips this fall!

Tin foils hats...hmmm...could you wear them on a cold but sunny day and get radiant to the head? Paint them for better efficiency?

Take care, PJO
  • Paul Pollets_2
    Paul Pollets_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Duncan, I'll Bet

There's a whole new generation of Wall Hangers that have no insight into the importance of the deflector beannie. Dan

• Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    One doesn't have to do with the other, but

I understand Rich Trethewey has recently been appointed the new Rehau Rep for New England. Time! That's what it has to do with it. Guess Rich will have to figure all that out. The previous Rep had annual growth of about 15-20% per year. Will Rich be able to satisfy the bean counters? It goes up and up, or......

Jed
  • paul&sandra kiernan
    paul&sandra kiernan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mr Duncan Wilson, i repeat, Mr Duncan W.,

for what it is worth, Sandra and I are in your corner always. Please understand, as far as this Forumn goes we are nobodys. But the fact remains, we have read you for years. Again, for what it is worth, your (iq), your work ethic, and your mechanical abilities are above reproach in our nobody opinion period. But you know what Duncan, in our eyes, you Shine, like so many other regulars on this wall for your attitude, your personality, and your ability to turn cheek to keep the peace. More than once, wew have seen you step in with respect and confidence and quell the fire. In our eyes Mr duncan, you are among the best of the best. You are a gentleman Sir as my poppa taught me. And to close, we think you were right on about Afganistan. What unfolds on our tv screen every night is as exactly as you called it, multiple moons ago. Enough for now Duncan, but please know, if you are EVER in MD, OUR door is open to YOU.
    Goodnight and GOD bless,
    paul &sandy kiernan. MD
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    Patrick...You have just met

Duncan Wilson. He is a class act and does The Wall a great service. I only wish he had the time to participate more because he has much to offer.

Bill Russell
    Tulsa, OK
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    WOW...

No wonder my partner considers you one of his best friends.

Nice going PK, you said it all.

Good to see you Duncan Disorderly!!

ME

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    The homeowner suffers...

from blind exuberence for doing the radiant thing due to ignorance on the suppliers part. The full and honest truth never comes out up front. It takes a heating season or two to prove itself. When a problem arises, the supplier dumps on the HO using things like, "Well you must not have followed the instructions".

What instructions?? Who did the heat loss/gain calculations?? Who specified the products?? Are they duly licensed to be doing business as they are??

I agree. This needs to be nipped in the bud early. Before it gets out of control like solar did. I've already started running into potential customers who are aware of the dark side of this business and are saying stuff like "You don't want that radiant stuff, it's too much trouble and it don't work".

I agree with everything the Duncan one said, and a whole lot more!

Do it once, do it right!!

ME

• PJO
    Options
    I agree...

Bill. Though I have read some of his stuff before, I hadn't seen him around much lately...too bad I didn't see his earlier stuff as well (I've been addicted to this place for only a year or so).

Take Care, PJO
  • Duncan
    Options

> for what it is worth, Sandra and I are in your

> corner always. Please understand, as far as this

> Forumn goes we are nobodys. But the fact remains,

> we have read you for years. Again, for what it is

> worth, your (iq), your work ethic, and your

> mechanical abilities are above reproach in our

> nobody opinion period. But you know what Duncan,

> in our eyes, you Shine, like so many other

> regulars on this wall for your attitude, your

> personality, and your ability to turn cheek to

> keep the peace. More than once, wew have seen you

> step in with respect and confidence and quell the

> fire. In our eyes Mr duncan, you are among the

> best of the best. You are a gentleman Sir as my

> poppa taught me. And to close, we think you were

> right on about Afganistan. What unfolds on our tv

> screen every night is as exactly as you called

> it, multiple moons ago. Enough for now Duncan,

> but please know, if you are EVER in MD, OUR door

> is open to YOU. Goodnight and GOD bless, paul

> &sandy kiernan. MD

• Duncan
    Options
    Whew!

Paul & Sandra, Thank you VERY much, that is very kind of you. You really made my night, I drove home smiling. Incredibly nice of you.

There have been times on the wall when I've conducted myself as less than a gentleman. I used to get real emotionally involved and take things personally, without much reason, just ego. Most of the time, hard feelings start from misunderstandings. So I try to pay attention and be more understanding, put my feelings aside for a while if I'm angry. Patrick and I have shared ideas in the past, I know he's a smart and reasonable guy, I respect him, and didn't take his reply personally in the least.

It's been a real learning experience here for me in many ways. Along with heating stuff, I've also learned a little better how to be patient, weigh things carefully, not read too much into things, and not fly off the handle so easily. It's easier when you have examples like Bill, Mark, Dave, the Dans, hot rod and many others I didn't mention. I see things like David Broome putting aside his feelings and apologizing, things like that, and it makes it easier for me to do the same. Compared to many sites, this place is remarkably civil. It's better when communication channels are open - more learning, less thrashing around.

Thanks again for the compliments... thank you.
  • Duncan
    Options
    History of the tin foil hat.

As far as I remember, that whole thing started when a contractor from Summit County, Colorado posted about his neighbor who applied aluminum foil to all the windows of his own house to keep out government thought reading wavelengths. He also wore an aluminum foil hat outside, I think. I don't really remember whether it was to keep his thoughts from being read, or to keep control thoughts from being implanted. We'll have to experiment further.

I just took the idea and ran with it. Hey, a pair of wrap-around shades, a complete body wrap of aluminum foil (shiny side out), a shaved monkey painted silver, a black 1956 Cadillac, some vodka and smokes, and off to Area 51 we go !

Amazingly, there are websites that discuss it, and I even saw it appear at alt.hvac. Guess you can't keep a good idea down.
This discussion has been closed.