Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vacumn

Options
gman
gman Member Posts: 12
just a thought any comments on pulling a vacumn on a tank to change the valve.i never liked doing this, maybe theres a better way.(not bad for a one finger typer) by the way im glad sites like this are around ,thanks to all

Comments

• Greg Gurecki
    Greg Gurecki Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Vacum

We do it all the time .I do recomend 2 men the second man pull the plug on the vac as soon as the valve is
    started also make sure the tank is under 3/4 tank I have found putting a rubber glove under the fill cap makes
    a good gasket then hook the vac to the vent. If you can`t have 2 men a long extension cord with the plug in reach helps. We had a weld fail on a old tank The vacum cleaner was hooked up and held the oil in until the spill the pump out truck arrived 45 minutes latter.
  • Greg Gurecki
    Greg Gurecki Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Vacum

We do it all the time .I do recomend 2 men the second man pull the plug on the vac as soon as the valve is
    started also make sure the tank is under 3/4 tank I have found putting a rubber glove under the fill cap makes
    a good gasket then hook the vac to the vent. If you can`t have 2 men a long extension cord with the plug in reach helps. We had a weld fail on a old tank The vacum cleaner was hooked up and held the oil in until the spill the pump out truck arrived 45 minutes latter.
  • paul k.
    paul k. Member Posts: 1
    Options
    tanks

hi,gman
    i know you asked for a better way. i dont know of any. But i thought you might find it interesting to know that pulling a vacumn with the average shop vac is standard procedure in the hydraulic truck crane field. Some of these tanks push a 150.gallons or more of 10/weight oil. obviously,10 weight is heavier than fuel oil. my only point is that is does work, and is done All the time. Experience has shown that gregs advice to have a second man always is very prudent. he is important and can save the day. It is a great demonstration of basic physics and first time observers often cannot believe there eyes. i would imagine you could have some good clean fun with homeowners who saw you do this. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on.
    as always, with respect
    pk.
  • gman
    gman Member Posts: 12
    Options

thanks for input, the glove is a good idea and have seen these tanks buckle in makes me a bit nervous thanks again
This discussion has been closed.