Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Job Mark Hunt

Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
Started this one yesterday. This is the studio. The garage is going up next and the new house after that.

As it stands right now, we will be using an HS Tarm Solo 30 wood boiler with a 600 gallon storage tank. RFH in the studio, garage and house.

Customer has 30+ acres of wood to use for building and fuel and there are a couple of pics showing the on site process of turning trees into lumber.

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• that is so cool

being able to utilize the land for the home, and with a modern mill operation to boot, that logger is no small potatoes. (ever try to catch one of them in gear?)

great pics mark,lets see more as they progress!!
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    nice photos

This looks like a fun job Mark, and a long term project also. Who is doing the milling ? How long is the wood aged before they use it ? During the 80's we would be on jobs where the carpenter's would pound the nail gun and get squirted from the "kiln dried wood ".

What are you using to tie the tubing down, it looked metal in the pictures.

I think I asked allready but are we going to see you in Sept. in Taxachusettes ??

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt

We used plastic cable ties to fasten the tubing to the wire mesh.

For some reason the builder covered the foam insulation with about an inch of dirt so you can't see it in the pics.

I can't really say how long that wood has been aged but the builder was walking around looking at some trees yesterday and they don't have enough on the ground to complete the project.

All of the milling is being done on site by a local contractor.

This project was referred to us by a gentleman who we designed a RFH system for and gave him help on as he installed it.

Still haven't made up my mind about the gathering. I'd love to come and The Sherriff said he'd pick me up. I guess I better make the call pretty quick.

Have a great day!!!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Is that what you call

in the boonies? How far do you have to drive to get to the job site?

What kind of wood are they using for the framing? Looks like Douglas Fir, but I don't know if you have that species where you are.

All the best,

Alan

• Mark Hunt
    Boonies!?!?!?

The site is in a very rural area and is just south of the Adirondak state park. About 30 minutes from my house.

We don't have any trouble getting back in but we will have to use a back hoe to get the boiler in.

That isn't as impressive as the camps I've done that required a boat to get to.

This is all white spruce, no Douglas fir in this neck of the woods.

It isn't the end of the world, but if you climb a tree you can see it from here.

Mark H

This discussion has been closed.