Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cover for manifolds in snowmelt application - Michael Bleier

Options
Michael B
Michael B Member Posts: 179
does anyone know a good source for this? Any radiant manuf. offer this? Other sources?

Michael

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    manifold boxes

I have used the green plastic boxes and covers from lawn sprinkler supply stores. Or else I build a 2X4 pressure treated lumber frame and buy 1/4" steel diamond plate from a steel supply place, and a can of green spray paint :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Manifold box

I use the green sprinkler boxes that Hot Rod mentioned. I get them at a local irrigation supply house. They come in various sizes. -DF
  • Tim Ritter
    Tim Ritter Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Manifold boxes - a weird option

Mike -
    For fairly large manifolds: There was a contractor in NJ once that had a large set of manifolds to box in, and he used a child-size crypt/coffin enclosure. Sounds kinda gross, but it worked well. Keep that one in your back pocket.
    Tim
  • Duncan_2
    Duncan_2 Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Depends on the job

I'd say the green sprinkler boxes would be OK for a residential job, but not the best choice for commercial.

For a commercial job - like public sidewalks - go for the 1/4" diamond plate steel, there's no telling what they'll be subjected to. I had a welder make some up for me. Plain old rectangular box with a flange for the lid to seal it (weatherstripped) and a couple nuts welded to the flange to screw the lid on. They were about four inches deep. It was a while ago - I think I may have had him weld a couple cross pieces to the outside of the bottom of the box to help level it.

Not cheap, but not too bad. Definitely worth the peace of mind for that particular job..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Paver stones

I did one at my own home. Built a box out of treated lumber and then covered it with 2x6 treated lumber, then put 12 inch x 12 inch paver stones over that. Lift the paver stones off, then lift off the 2x6 lid and there it is! Paver stones looked like it was planned.
This discussion has been closed.