Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement for Propylene Glycol - DVW

Options
www.enviro-kool.com

Seems like a great product - but I do not have any experience with it.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    What is it made from?

There are lots of heat transfer products available. All with pros and cons.

The geo guys around here use methanol based anti freeze. These scare the heck out of me! 54 degree F flash point!! classified as a hazardous waste upon disposal, high in oral and inhalation toxicity. Leave your torch in the truck, and pray it never leaks next to the water heater!

I have seen silicone based fluids also used mainly in solar applications. Extremely expensive around $30.00 per gallon. Very high temperature celing, and seems to last forever. I have never seen any reactions to copper with these products.

There are also heat transfer oils also, as you know. Used in transformers on power poles. We all remember the PCP issue.

The polybutylene manufactures used to offer a potassium acetate (I think that's close :)) product. Haven't seen it in years.

All in all it's hard to do better than glycols, all things considered. Beware of the inexpensive hydronic fluids most are diluted and lack adequate inhibitors.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.