Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air - chris christman

Options
I posted this a few weeks ago, but didn't see the responses after the conversion on here.

This isn't really heat related, but you guys are good and thought you could help.

I have a 2 story colonial that uses public water. It seems that a few weeks ago when I changed the kitchen faucet, I now have air in the water lines and cannot get rid of it. I had to change the shutoff valve of the cold water supply line to the sink, so I shut the water off at the main supply line coming into the house from the public supply.

Every thing seemed to go fine with the replacing of the faucet and valve, but now I have air in the lines and cannot get rid of it. It is in both the hot and cold lines. I have gone to the second floor and let the faucets in the bathroom sink and tub run and flushed the toilet to remove all the air as I was told air will rise, so do it on the highest floor.

I can get the water running fine by doing this, but over time, say overnight, I get it back.

I have hot water heat, but the heat is not on. The boiler runs though to supply the domestic hot water.

I don't see any leaks anywhere, and can't for the life of me figure out where air might be entering the system.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Christman

Comments

• John Ruhnke1
    John Ruhnke1 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Do you have a storage tank on the main supply line?

Chris,

Do you have a storage tank on the main supply line? Is your system a privet system with a well and tank? Or is it a public system with a water meter?

JR

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chris christman
    chris christman Member Posts: 3
    Options

It is public water supply that comes in through the meter.
  • John Ruhnke1
    John Ruhnke1 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Do you have a tank and a pump?

On the main water line, do you have a tank and pump? Do you suck the water out of the main?

JR

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Andy N.
    Andy N. Member Posts: 53
    Options
    air in the lines

It is possible that a water main had been opened at some point allowing a slug of air into the main. Or your tap may be positioned in such a way that it tends to separate air in to your home. (air bubbles flowing along the top of the water main and into your tap and water service and then on into your home. If it were me I would probably talk to the water supplier and ask them to flush the surrounding hydrants. I have seen that happen in the past. I think that over time this problem would go away. Do your neighbors have the same problem? Is there any commercial buildings or industry in your area? it is possible you are seeing a backflow into the water main. does your town require backflow preventers? just a few questions. Whatever the case may be I would talk to the water supplier about this problem. Just my opinion,

Andy
  • chris christman
    chris christman Member Posts: 3
    Options

We have been in the home for about 8 months, and up until I changed the faucet in the kitchen, I really didn't notice the problem. Every now and then I would hear slight air purge out of the radiators through the air purging device on the return line of the heat.

But now after the new faucet, is when I can't seem to get rid of it. I am going to shut off the lines to the new faucet and see if I notice any difference....

To answer the questions, no, I do not have a pump or tank, it just comes to the house through the meter.

Thanks,
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.