Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

I've got a large leak.... - irene

Irene_3 Member Posts: 4
That I can't isolate. My water bill for a 44 unit building has gone up to $7,000 total. I THINK it might be in the boiler return pipe, but I don't want to bust up the ground just to find out I was wrong. Can anyone suggest what to do? If you have any suggestions for contractors who are good at isolating the problem BEFORE destroying the building, I would appreciate it! I am in the Chicago area, so contractors aroudn there are especially appreciated!



  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 15,368
    Chicagoland contractors

    If you were only listed in Find a Contractor, Irene would probably be calling you right now.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    You will have to spend some money, but

    most underground pipes come out somewhere at at least 2 places. The pipe is isolated at these places and a pressure test put on the buried section to see if it's leaking. Any larger plumbing company can do this. Save the water for Colorado.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    sure fire

    If you don't already have a water meter on the boiler feed water line, now wouldn't be too soon to add one! If you're loosing that volume of water through the heating system, it will show very quickly. The meter is also a great long-term diagnostic tool if the readings are taken at very regular intervals and written down (recorded). An infra-red heat gun can help in locating leaks under the slab if the boiler has been running for several days or hours to allow for hot return water.

    To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.