Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

anti scald and tempering valves

Options
Terry_2
Terry_2 Member Posts: 3
I have a customer that I'm hooking up an outside wood boiler with a domestic coil. He wants me to put a temperature regulating valve on it so the water can be set at 120-140 degrees. I've used tempering valves on oil boilers that were used at the boiler but this is going to be 100' from the boiler. I was looking at a catalog with anti-scald valves and they had 2 kinds one for point of source and the other for point of use. Would this be what I want? Do you guys have any suggestions and what do you recommend? Thanks

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Sparco

Look in to Sparco. I couldn't find a web site but heres a tel. number 401-738-4290 Warwick, Rhode Island. I think they make the very best tempering valve.

Good Luck

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Larry Ticknor
    Larry Ticknor Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Sparco website

Try:

http://www.sparco-inc.com/

Lots of information there.

Larry Ticknor
  • Steve Miller
    Steve Miller Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Tempering Valves

I haven't had a lot of luck with Sparco especially with weird water conditions. I've used the Watts 70a valve with good success. They have two ranges, one I thing is 80 to 120 degrees and the other is 120 to 160 which is the one I recommend.
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    100'

The '93 BOCA plumbing code that we use here in NH says that if your water heater is 100' or more from the furthest fixture that a recirc pump is required (w/ a timer and a switch). Could you hook that line from the boiler into a Booster tank and then run a mixing valve/ tempering valve off the hot side of the tank.Point of source type.I have used the Taco valve, and Watts 70A. I prefer the Sparco.
    Just a few thoughts..Kevin C.Ps. Just make sure that the recirc. line is run in copper not PEX. Pex does not like this application esp,. w/ clorinated water.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Hard water conditions

will be tough on any valve that has to continually move or adjust. Seems either you have to treat (fix) the water or plan on continual maintenance.

I, too, had problems with the earlier versions of the Sparco. They have made some good improvements with the addition of a teflon, I believe, coated components. The chrome finish inside the older version bodies seemed to wear away causing the spool to stick.

They also offer union connections for quick and easy change out now.
    Take the old one back to the shop for a delime, or rebuild cartridge treatment. I like to install ball valves at all three ports for quick maintenance and repairs.

I thought Honeywell bought out Sparco? Maybe just certain products?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Larry Ticknor
    Larry Ticknor Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Honeywell-Sparco

I believe you are right Hotrod.

If you go to the Honeywell website, at the bottom there is a link to the Sparco website where the introduction page is "Honeywell Sparco".

http://www.honeywell.ca/water-controls/

Larry Ticknor
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Sparco

Sparco is now part of the Honeywell team. Their line compliments the Trade controls and the Braukmann line. Located in Warwick, RI, call 401 738 4290 for customer/tech service.
  • Roy_2
    Roy_2 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Pex and domestic water

Don't use Pex? I thought most of the Pex guys have been selling non barrier tube for domestic for years?
    I know areas in south central PA where the battery acid they call water has forced them to outlaw copper in new plumbing and most of the guyshave switched to PEx. Is there something we need to know about?
    Thanks,
    Roy
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Kevin Coppinger Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Pex

What I was reffering to is Pex s' use in a RE-Circ line. ie a Taco 006 Bronze. The constant action con cause the pex to break down.Most manufactuers spefically say not to do so. It is especially bad in clorinated/public water.
    HR had mentioned this a ways back.
    Kevin Coppinger
  • Kevin Coppinger
    Kevin Coppinger Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Pex

What I was reffering to is Pex s' use in a RE-Circ line. ie a Taco 006 Bronze. The constant action con cause the pex to break down.Most manufactuers spefically say not to do so. It is especially bad in clorinated/public water.
    HR had mentioned this a ways back.
    Kevin Coppinger
This discussion has been closed.