Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Retrofit on Top of Floor/No Insulation

Canuck
Canuck Member Posts: 57
We've used the covertech insulation on many projects with great success. They provide a number of varieties of 'bubble/foil' insulation where the 'bubble' provides insulating value while the foil reflects the radiant. Make sure you get the proper type for your application and make double sure you don't install it upside down.

Comments

• Pete Millar (PM)
    Pete Millar (PM) Member Posts: 18
    Radiant Retrofit on Top of Floor/No Insulation

We are looking at doing a radiant retrofit on top of an existing subfloor. There is no insulation below the subfloor and we can not readily get underneath to add anything. Any suggestions on how to minimize downward heat loss in this situation?
  • Subfloor Mounted PEX

Depending upon many conditions (e.g. what's under the floor) I suggest drilling holes on the top of the subfloor and spraying insulation up under the floor. I believe that there are spray-on insulation products that will adhere to the surface as opposed to letting gravity take over.

Otherwise, you'll be faced with raising the height of the finished floor to accomodate ridged foam insulation on the top of the subfloor and under the tubes. You'll be raising up all of the doors and door jambs also!

Good luck, Phil.
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    R-Foil

There is a product called r-foil that may be suitable to your project. May not be optimal, but since you can't get to bottom of subfloor, this may be your solution

try website: http://www.covertechfab.com/insulation.htm
    for more info.

Hope this is helpful :)
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    How much thickness

could you swallow for insulation? Phils advise sounds do-able. I would suggest SOME insulation R value, somehow.

I have a letter from MAXXON detailing an acceptable way to pour 1-3/4" Therma Floor over Insul Tarp. I'm sure they would send you a copy.

One inch foamboard with a dry over the top system would be another option. A lot depends on what the final floor covering will be and how it needs to be attached. You have some options to insulate. Pick the one that you and the customer are comfortable with.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.