Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slab movement - memebranes

Options
Gregg Jackson
Gregg Jackson Member Posts: 55
We have a customer that will be doing an overpour on an existing heated concrete pad. He is going to have the tile setter do a mud job to bring the slab up to the same levels as the rest of the house and finish with tile. I don't foresee any opertional problems but I am wondering if there should be a memebrane between the two "slabs" ? Any thoughts and, if so, who supplies this product?

Gregg

Comments

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Depends

If the existing slab has cracks the tile man will want a crack isolation membrane . If there are no cracking or settlement issues I would leave it up to the tile setter.Any of the real tile supply houses should membranes in stock or be able to get them in in short order. The big boxes usually don't know what your talking about or "don't have a special order program with that manufacturer" even if they stock other product from same.Or so I've been told by employes several times
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    If you're adding

> We have a customer that will be doing an overpour

> on an existing heated concrete pad. He is going

> to have the tile setter do a mud job to bring the

> slab up to the same levels as the rest of the

> house and finish with tile. I don't foresee any

> opertional problems but I am wondering if there

> should be a memebrane between the two "slabs" ?

> Any thoughts and, if so, who supplies this

> product?

>

> Gregg

more mass, you will reduce the responsiveness of the thermal mass. This may not be a problem in your case, but you may at least want to mention it to the customer.

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    If you're adding

more mass, you will reduce the responsiveness of the thermal mass. This may not be a problem in your case, but you may at least want to mention it to the customer.

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Will the mud pack

be on top of the second slab pour? If so I think that is where the membrane should be positioned. Best to let the tile guy decide as it will effect his work and warranty more so than yours.

It is much easier to install the membrane on the first go around than to "fix" a floor that develops cracks in the tile or grout lines :)

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.