Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taco hot water recirculator

R. Taliano
R. Taliano Member Posts: 12
We have a gas-fired hot water tank with a hot water recirculator (Taco). It is a 120V with a simple plug. Since obviously we don't need hot water at 3 am I wanted to know if it is Ok to put a simple plug in mechanical timer to shut the recirculator off during the night? Obvioiusly I don't want to shorten the life of the Taco just to save a couple of bucks in gas. Thanks in advance.

Ross T.

PS Thanks again to everyone who gave me boiler advice. We ended up with a Monitor MZ 2-stage with a Tekmar outdoor reset and it works great. Would like to put hot water through the MZ as well when gas hot water heater dies but having the recirculator is nice....don't have to wait minutes in the master suite for hot water.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Some options RT

I like to use the electronic timers, for stuff like this, as they hold their memory for 4 days or more in the event of a power outage. Several pump manufactures off these clip on thermostats that will shut down the pump when the recirc line is up to temperature, used with a timer.

Or start over and purchase a pump with all these features built in. Just about every pump manfacture has a model with intergral timer and thermostat. It may be better sized for the job also :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379

Yes, you can use the type you asked about, set for morning and night set back or spent afew more bucks and get type hotrod was speaking about. hi-tech vs low-tech Good luck
  • Mark Chaffee
    Mark Chaffee Member Posts: 30
    Re-circ Timer

The easiest thing to do is to attach a timer to the circulator. The timer can be set in 15 minute intervals. You can also install an aqaustat to maintain a teperature at all times (95 on - 115 off), or the combination of both. Timer part number is 265-1 and aqaustat number is 563-2.

Mark Chaffee
    Taco, Inc.
    401-942-8000
This discussion has been closed.