Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

loosening a steam radiator

Options
Is there an easy way to loosen a steam rad from the inlet valve. Mine is really stuck and I want to move it away from the wall in order to clean it and paint it?

Comments

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options

24" to 36" pipe wrench if that dosen't work I would cut off with sawall and replace steam valve. PS Sometimes if rad. is to high on one end remove shims to relieve pressure on union which could also help!
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    loosening rad union

Pipe wrenches collapse around a pipe to grip it. Loosen your pipe wrench to the point that it just grips the union hub. then try it. Many times the tightly adjusted wrench will collapse the hub to the point that they will not loosen. Good luck! bigugh
  • Unknown
    Options
    Try some heat !

Take a torch to it, heat up the union and then try to loosen the joint with a long pipe wrench, use a piece of black pipe over the wrench handle to give you more leverage. It works for me, hope it helps you out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you have the space

Try loosening the union by tapping it on all sides with a hammer . Not too hard , or you might break the fitting off in the radiator . We do it all the time on steam unions around the near boiler piping.
This discussion has been closed.