Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My recent job - Jeff Lawrence

Options
Don Robertson
Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
Nice Job. Can you send me a link where I can get more information on Insultarp? Thanks

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    New radiant job

I have almost finished this one, so I thought I'd post some pictures.

The H/O has a 18 foot ceiling in this room and has a home theater below it. He was planning on pouring tthe concrete anyway when he realized the floor level would be cold. I put down the Insultarp then stapled through it.

It was later, as I was finishing up, that I found out about the definite plans for the flooring. In the picture, Quint and his helper are attaching sleepers to the floor around the pex. Then they screwed the plywood down. They covered the entire floor where you see the sleepers, put paint marks on the screw holes, numbered the plywood, and removed all of the plywood. The plywood would go back down after the concrete (not gyp-crete!) was poured. The inside area in the picture was going to be slate. You can see the electrical and plumbing stubbed up also.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Earlier shots

Here are some pictures of the room before I got started. In the picture I posted earlier, I was standing more behind the plumbing stub-outs.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Almost the last one

Here is the shot of the panel with the Wirsbo ProMix and SPR mounted before they got wired in.

Funny thing. I mentioned to the plumber about supporting his expansion tank and he told me it was fine just as it was. "Oh, those tanks never get waterlogged. They have a (diaphram) in them." I forgot the exact term he used. If (and when) the exp tank breaks off, someone will be buying a new ProMix control board. Mine is supported by two bands of plumber's strap. Is there a better way to mount these?

I like the new flowmeter manifolds. The make circuit setting easy.

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Great Jeff!

I think your desire to install wet jobs (and the vapor) is awesome for an area of the US thats 99% scorched!Great job.congrats.

cheese
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Curious

Insul tarp over plywood for thin pour? Will there be enough Rvalue to push the heat up? Is there any insulation in the joist bay?
  • corey
    corey Member Posts: 45
    Options
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Actually

It was not a thin pour. The pour was actually about 3 inches, give or take a little.

There is actually a grand home theater below the area. I don't remember the actual thickness of the wood, but combined with the insultarp, it should be enough.

• JohnNY1
    JohnNY1 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Do you have any pictures of good work?

Stick to sheet metal.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    WOW!

Master Plvmer thats quite a nice compliment..........and you dont even have the @#!@ to leave an address.

This man Jeff Lawrence is a gentleman,family man,father,self employed and has quite a passion for the wet side of the trade.So you have to pump him up with a moron statement.

Jeff mentioned in his post that this is a floor warming job.Not that you know but he also lives in Atlanta GA not Juno Alaska.I believe the design low is 25* in his neck of the woods.

Did you notice............."master" that he isolated the system from DW with a plate HX?This guy Jeff has spent much time learning spending and beating his clients heads to install wet work in the southern belt.And his work is designed.

Perhaps if you fancy yourself a critique of work maybe you could do that and not insult a man in such a cowardly way.

Man your post really is quite ignorant.

cheese
  • John Ruhnke1
    John Ruhnke1 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Real nice job with the controls !!

Jeff,

Real nice job with the controls. I like the way you piped it through a heat exchanger. Up North in Connecticut, I wouldn't trust the insultarp. Should be good enough for Georgia and if its only a floor warming job. The problem is that you can't always trust reflective values of insulation. I know people that have been bit with hot lower floors from reflective insulation that was suposed to deliver high r-values.

John Ruhnke

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Hey Jeff

Looks like a fun job. If you don't mind, just a couple of questions. Why are both sides of the heat exchanger connected to the same expansion tank ? Why the bronze circulator ? Why does the plumber think the wieght of the water in his tank will not pull it down and damage the tank ?? I think the insultarp has a r-value of 12, is that right ?

Nicely laid out work.

Scott

• frank
    frank Member Posts: 5
    Options

to cheese good for you talking back to "master plumber"
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    mike kraft

I just want to say thanks for putting master plumber in his place. There are many of you guys here on the wall that have every right to walk and talk with an ego,But choose
    not to take that path and it show character and heart.
    to share ones knowledge and williness to help makes the whole industry better.
    Jeff nice job,as mike said it is an accomplishment to sell
    wet in your part of the country.As you will find you become better, and learn better ways with each application.My
    hats off to you ,keep the passion.don
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    from this Master Plumber

Nice job!

Not only is your question regarding tank support appropriate, but that looks like a 2-gallon tank? If so, then it's also undersized and will see excessive volumes of thermal expansion = extra weight = late night flooding and/or failed system components from excessive pressures.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Excellent point

Dave. The size of the tank never came to my mind, just the support. The expansion tank rule is one of the most recently enforced ones in this area.

Possibly this one will not wait out it's warranty to blow the 'rubber thingie' inside the tank. (I finlly remembered the actual wording he used.)

• steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options
    saw the after

effects of a #30 once. Pulled the adapter out of the tee, hit hit main water line coming in,sheared it off at the wall before the shut off.......
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options

Very nice!!

How did you like working with the insul-tarp?

Mark H

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    I think

The plumbing inspector had something to say to the plumber about his expansion tank. This was there today when I went to finish up.

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Check out the T&P relief line

So, just what temperatures is PVC rated to withstand & what temperature do relief valves pop off when there is a malfunction?????

The inspector has not done his job, IMHO.

Price diff between copper & PVC justifies compromising consumer safety?

Some day I'm going to be a plumbing inspector and give everyone a real fit(G). But I'll be available for more than one hour in the morning, allow permits to be lifted by whatever modern communication is available and strict but fair without taking bribes or graft.

2 - gallon thermal expansions tanks should be outlawed or else priced at a premium. Boyle's Law baby. Ya can't change the basic rules of physics. P1 x V1 must equal P2 x V2, always.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    I saw

The T&P valves piped with PVC and thought the same thing, but they are actually CPVC. First glance, it looks (and is colored) like regular PVC.

Another funny thing was 2 of the upstairs (attic) cooling systems are piped into the plumbing p-trap in the basement as well as the condensate pump from the 90% furnace and A/C in the basement. All this AND the the pipes from the T&P valves. The trap primer too. I may be back over there in a few days and I'll get a shot of that for you.

• John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Master Plumber

Just thinking out loud, did master plumber solder this job?
    Don't you just love drips,overheated fittings, "new" dirty piping,and real fancy support! got to love that pride.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    really

Get this guy a rag !! The pipe strapping looks very professional NOT !

Scott

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Final pictures (almost)

Here's the final shot of the finished job, wired and fired. It did warm the concrete floor real good.

I'm going to post pictures of the room under another header.

Jeff

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    home theater

There have been numerous questions (here and via email) about the theater below the room. Here is a couple of pictures of the theater.

If you look closely at one of the pictures, you'll see the spiral duct that vents the downdraft hood. It kinda breaks up the room, but the homeowner thinks its okay.

This picture is where the concrete actually leaked through the floor onto a bracket.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options

This picture is of the stained concrete floor in the entry off the garage. I had to 'cook' the moisture out of the floor so the stain would stay the correct color. If the moisture was too high, the green would have turned black. As soon as the stain dried, they sealed it so there wouldn't be a moisture problem.

The other pictures are of the kitchen/great room area. The hardwood is still covered with kraft paper to prevent it from getting damaged by people moving stuff in.

J.

This discussion has been closed.