Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating degree days

Options
Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
Nothing like being 20 years behind by law. I love living in PA.I would try ASHRAE themselves. They should have an archive.

Comments

• Jim Gaynor
    Jim Gaynor Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Need degree days for Pittsburgh

It has to be from the 1981 ASHRAE HOF - this is information I need for code compliance. Can anyone tell me what this book says Pittsburgh, PA's heating degree days are? I no longer have my '81 HOF.

Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Degree Days

I do not have the manual you mention but another reference gives 5950 for Pittsburgh, PA. By the way I am originally from Uniontown, Pa. I am going to be down that way in September for class reunion. Then will be doing a seminar in Harrisburg. If you would like info e-mail me your mailing address.
  • Brian_2
    Brian_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Degree Days

The best way to get heating degree days is to go to the local National Weather Service and get the latest "Local Climatological Data - Annual Summary with Comparative Data" report. It is free and the guys there will probably enjoy conversing with someone.

Better yet, try this address
    http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/pit/climate.htm#Todays
    and check it out. I am sure you will find your information here.

I hope this helps.
  • Jim Gaynor
    Jim Gaynor Member Posts: 2
    Options

It would help, except the code specifically references ASHRAE, and they stopped publishing degree day info in '81. To make things worse, I think Pittsburgh is right on the edge between two classifications in the code, so I really do need the ASHRAE values.

Thanks.
  • Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options

> Nothing like being 20 years behind by law. I love

> living in PA.I would try ASHRAE themselves. They

> should have an archive.

• Tony Conner
    Tony Conner Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Degree Days

I've got an old ASHVE (now ASHRAE) Guide from 1944 that gives the degree days as 5466. There's a notation though, that mentions that this number is under review, as it is derived from data from more than one location. Burnham's "Heating Helper" and Siegenthaler's "Modern Hydronic Heating" both list the same value - 5950. I'd bet that this is the last one published by ASHRAE. I'd pitch 'em the 5950, and see if anyone argues with it. If they do, ask them what they're using for a reference. Ask to see the publication that they're refering to - I'm guessing that they don't have the old ASHRAE table either :) If they do have it, then they should be ready to share the "obsolete" data that they're requiring people to use.
  • Paul Whiteman
    Paul Whiteman Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Heating Degree Days

My 1981 ASHRAE HOF says 5987 for the airport and 5053 for the city. Hope this is in time to help.
  • Doug Murphy
    Doug Murphy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Degree data

I don't know what the ASHRAE 81 HOF is but I do have the 1981 ASHRAE Fundamentals book which lists the location of degree day information in the 1980 ASHRAE Systems book.
    For Pittsburgh which has two listings (airport and city location) yearly total is 5987 and 5053 respectively.
    If you need monthly breakdowns e-mail me.
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member Posts: 40
    Options
    ASHRAE 2001 Degree Days

Pittsburgh is listed at 5,968 degree days (using standard 65F base), from the Pittsburgh airport weather data. This is according to ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2001, "Energy Standard for Buildings...."

It will, of course, always be a little bit warmer "dontawn", even Norside and Slibberty too.

Tom Anderson
This discussion has been closed.