Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

'Fess up macho guys

Options
Paul Cooke
Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
I just watched "Rudy" at the recommendation of a good friend. Having grown up in Chicago and spending time working in a steel mill as a kid and also going to N.D.once in a while to play hockey, I loved that movie. The story is very truely told....a buddy of mine was at college there and knew Rudy. Rudy still comes to alumni events and gives motivational talks. He was quoted as saying that if guys like O.J. or Walter Payton were so good (compared to Rudy) why didn't they make a movie about them? Funny guy.

I find myself crying at any movie with baseball nowadays. And any movie with a father/son theme will also do it to me. Of course, "Field of Dreams" had both. Even "The Rookie" got me all choked up. Dragged my boys to that one.
They are 16 and 18 now. Driving home with them 2 days ago we saw one of those radar speed signs on the highway. We had to stop and see how fast we could chuck a dirt clod. (Found out my fastball isn't what it used to be.)

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Tearjerker movies

Okay, come clean guys. How many of you get all watery and gushy when you watch a certain movie? I was watching "Terms of Endearment" the other day and as usual, the ending got me. I also well up during "Peggy Sue Got Married" when she revists her grandparents.

What about you?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member Posts: 17
    Options

Old Yeller always gets me choked up.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Real men...................................

Are not afraid to cry or hug another guy....just don't go overboard....went to a wedding on Saturday in Joyzee (New Jersey)....the groom was just a little too touchy feely and emotional for me...I guess he is in touch with his "feminine" side. The guy just went too far with his blubbering and how everyone meant so much to him and crying uncontrollably..even the women were making faces and snickering. Anyways......the movies that can alwaYS make Mad Dog howl like a baby are: Brian's Song, Platoon, It's a wonderful life, Beaches, The World according to Garp, ET, Officer & a Gentleman, and a few others I can't think of. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Brian (Tankless) Wood Member Posts: 222
    Options
    Elephant Man (Brian)

I had read the book (true story) before I saw the B&W movie, it was a killer. Highly recommended, but take a hanky.

Take care out there, Brian.
  • j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    all time fav

smokey & the bandit
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options

Truth be known I'm a real softy and sensitive type of guy. a lot of movies have made the tears flow. But most recently I would have to say "Pay it Forward" you can learn more about this movie at www.payitforward.com A real tear jerker in my opinion.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan (cry baby) Mercurio
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Crying like a baby

Ever since my two boys have been born I loose it a lot of stuff. Movies where little kids are hurt, kill me.

I lost my Dad about 18 years ago and the worst was Field of Dreams with Kevin Kostner. That killed me.

Heres the worse, watched the winter olympics with my three month old son in my arms. They ask a guy what his favorite olympic moment was. Back in the twentys there was an american rower who was the best in the world. He was going to France for the summer games. The guy was a shoe in the win the gold. He wife was pregnant with their first child, so he decides not to go, to be their when his son is born. Every one tells him " go win the gold". Nope, he's staying to be there when his child is born. Twenty years later he gets a phone call from Helsinki at the summer games. He son say " Dad thanks for being there when I was born, I just won the gold you should have won "

How many of you are crying right know :).

Scott " Tears" Milne

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    \"Field of Dreams\"

Is one of the movies that got to me. The turbulent relationship he had with his father, then watching them play catch at the end of it was special. Reminded me of the son/father relationship I had growing up. Not that I'm all that grown up now (g).

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Here's another...

one to add to the great list that I haven't seen yet.. "Rudy", the true story about the kid that wouldn't quit - best football/life/Notre Dame story ever told...of course that list may be short :-)

Take Care, PJO

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Children and tears

That's exactly how I am now, also. I'll even well up over a good Disney movie. My kids have really softened me, I guess. I am fortunate that my dad and I became pretty good friends over the last ten years of his life. He even worked some with me for awhile. It made watching him die from cancer somewhat less devestating to me. I still think of him daily hoping he is looking down on me with pride. I strive to have a better relationship with my kids (ages 7&5) because of the sometimes tumultuos dealings I had with mine growing up.

"Dad, wanna play some catch?" It still gets me.

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• John R. Hall
    Options
    Daddy stuff

You guys are hitting the nail on the head. My kids are 9 and 7 and I sometimes bust out crying just watching them dance or play sports. I could be a total loser for my whole life but those two complete me; and are my greatest achievements.

Another good movie? "My Dog Skip."
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    I always cry when...............

I see Caddy Shack............now thats a tear jerker!

cheese
  • Mi39ke_2
    Mi39ke_2 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Movies

HAROLD AND MAUDE (life affirming tears with a great soundtrack and dark laughs) Commercial cult classic. Everyone has seen it, usually, more than once.

BARFLY (tears of joy, drunken debauchery and pub brawling mixed with the underground writing life--Frank Stallone and the author as supporting cast--kind of. Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway as themselves [g]) Read some Bukowski before viewing it--a suggestion. Or get really drunk.

THE HIDDEN (simple alien/FBI tear-jerker with fast cars, gun battles, comedy and high volume rock & roll) Oh yeah, senseless violence and that guy from Twin Peaks before he became famous. Fun.

PROPHECY (Christoper Walken--good vs. evil--war amongst the angels dark comedy) Eric Stoltz and lots of people from the Coen brothers films...if you notice these things...which leads us to..

BLOOD SIMPLE Coen number one. Dark and dangerous. Tears for....?

RAISING ARIZONA One of the funniest and most tearful films ever! Coens at their peak, Nicolas Cage, Goodman, etc. Anyone who hates it should be an outcast! Did I mention lots of babies!!!

These are just films on the tip of my tongue...check out IFC or the Sundance Channel...documentaries on Rambling Jack Elliot, and all the other alternatives that you will not be exposed to in the commercial media which rules our lives. Your brain is some kind of inward explosion, dying to ignite. IMO.

Mi39ke

• ScottMP
    Options
    Van Damme

His movie's make me cry. He's getting payed how much ??

• steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options
    beaches

saw it just after the wind beneath my wing passed away(dad). And boy can Bette sing!!

and Kingpin. My wife made me watch it 3days after my hernia was fixed.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    not a movie, but

Remember Dan Jansen, the American Olympic speedskater whose sister succumbed to cancer the day he was supposed to skate for the gold?
  • Dick
    Dick Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Tears came to

> That's exactly how I am now, also. I'll even

> well up over a good Disney movie. My kids have

> really softened me, I guess. I am fortunate that

> my dad and I became pretty good friends over the

> last ten years of his life. He even worked some

> with me for awhile. It made watching him die

> from cancer somewhat less devestating to me. I

> still think of him daily hoping he is looking

> down on me with pride. I strive to have a better

> relationship with my kids (ages 7&5) because of

> the sometimes tumultuos dealings I had with mine

> growing up.

>

> "Dad, wanna play some catch?"

> It still gets me.

>

> hb

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 103&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• Dick
    Dick Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Tears came to

my eyes the other nite. Saw my sixteen year old son in the back of a police cruiser, the next time I saw him, he said"you didn't say you loved me". Don't forget to ALWAYS tell your kids you love them and hold them when you can. I agree with the movie"Pay it Forward"
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Can't relate

to any American movies; they all seem to have a sheet of plastic over them with a bar code. All action, no dialog, no character development.

My favorite movies are from Europe; specifically "Jean de Florette" and Manion of the Spring"; they are two parts of a long story, in French with subtitles.

Another favorite is "Kiss of the Spiderwoman"

• ScottMP
    Options
    Why You Bon Vie Von

I was just telling my guys about those two movies. Thier eyes just glazed over.... Subtitles ??? They are great movies.

Allthough my favorite of all time ( since we seem to have left the tear jerkers behind is ... The Great Escape !!!

• Henry_4
    Henry_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Movies

Life is Beautiful with Roberto what ever his name is. When I watchend him go bananas at the oscars I thought give me a break, and then I saw the movie....
  • Leon
    Leon Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Gladiator

The greatest movie ever made.When the Gladiator died a little piece of me died to.One tear ran down my cheek.What we do in life echoes in eternity.
  • nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    movies

The Bridges of Madison County (at the very end)
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    \"Running\"

A kinda obscure Michael Douglas movie from around '80-'81. He plays a recently divorced guy who uses running to relieve frustration, etc. I was newly divorced then too and went out and bought running shoes and a jogging suit after watching the movie. Used them once.

Another good one: "Mrs. Doubtfire." The ending makes the eyes moist.
  • John R. Hall
    Options
    Dragonfly

Probably Kevin's Costner's best stuff since Field of Dreams. A little slow in parts but a very good ending.
This discussion has been closed.