Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AC question

Options
Steve Ebels
Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
I've done a heat loss/gain for a church building I'm working on using HVAC-CALC. The numbers look good, however, the program doesn't include any factors for people, as in live bodies as far as heat gain is concerned. What btu load should I take into account per person. Or, put another way, what's the btu output of your standard run of the mill human be'an

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=175&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Dennis Lee
    Dennis Lee Member Posts: 17
    Options
    A.C.SIZING

WAS ALWAYS TOLD ABOUT 300 BTU'S PER BODY.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    People are most of the load

From my old mechanical engineering text, seated at rest 350 btu/hr per person (ie. movie theatre); standing light work, 640btu/hr; dancing,1280 btu/hr. I think you are going to need to find what type of worship style that is used. Also, not sure if the program you are using accounts for length of time of occupancy, or the mass of the structure or furnishings. For most churches these have a huge impact on the calculated load. I calulated my own church sanctuary, 1850's 20 inch stone walls, R-38 ceiling about 16 feet high on average, 10 inch reinforced concrete floor, not too much window area, seating capacity about 280 and ended up with only 6 tons load due to the short occupancy and high mass of the structure. 3- 2 ton Carrier ductless split systems were installed. Really nice dehumidification, no duct losses and no holes in the ancient plaster ceiling. I don't do A/C instalation, but have worked with several churches that use ductless units and all have been quite pleased. I recommend a good contractor I partner with for doing installs. Hope this helps!

Boilerpro
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    AC question

I've done a heat loss/gain for a church building I'm working on using HVAC-CALC. The numbers look good, however, the program doesn't include any factors for people, as in live bodies as far as heat gain is concerned. What btu load should I take into account per person. Or, put another way, what's the btu output of your standard run of the mill human be'an

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    A difference

Hey Steve, are they prayin' or singin'? Gotta make a difference I believe.
  • j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    people load

sensible & latent
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Brian (Tankless) Wood Member Posts: 222
    Options
    I like that, J

Where did you get it.

Brian in hot, sticky, humid, swampland, where the revival-type churches need wayyyyyyy more air conditioning than your average place of worship.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Hvac-calc

Steve, Hvac-calc has it set up for 300 senible and 230latent
    as set out in manual j. If i may add if you could drop your rh to about 50% this will give you a little more latent load
    This seen to help when it dance time and everyone start to sweat, it does not take much water vapor to get the whole
    place feelin muggy again.the last church we did we went with vs equipment with humidistat seen to help with the ladies when there hormone got to there peak and they forgot the estrogen. Don
This discussion has been closed.