Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skipping...(ME)

Options
Mark Eatherton1
Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
I thought I'd seen it all. Actually, I heard it long before I saw it. Something that sounded like a mad hornet from hell. When I looked at it through the scope from the deck of the porch at my summer home, I couldn't believe my eyes. A twenty something Generation Why'er riding a snowmobile on open water. A LONG ways away from shore. Little to no directional control on a craft that wasn't meant to be driven on the water. Soon, he was being chased by another mad nutter on another snowmobile. All in all, there were ten brave fools from this particular group out harrasing the citizens of the water and shore community. The've talked about banning these machines from winter lands like Yellowstone because of their residual pollution. Wonder what the environmental impact of ten of these machines are on water quality and the like...

Going to write a letter to the state wildlife commision this evening, you betcha, by golly!

My what some people won't do for recreation...

ME

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=88&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence
    Jeff Lawrence Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you

Sure those weren't JetSki's/waverunners?

Either way, around here we call them ('scuse me) water turds.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Fun at all cost

• Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Fun at all cost

Good for them. I'm sure glad it was in your bay and not mine - i'd write a letter to someone who cares. yeah, thats what i'd do. If you ignore them wiill they go away? Dam hippies. Good luck....Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Joel_3
    Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    snowmobiles

As A snowmobiler I'd have to say that's just pretty nuts trying to skip across water like that. They do actually have races on water but that is in a controlled environment where you wouldn't have to worry about boats,swimmers etc.
    On the polution issue though not to worry they are producing no more byproducts than your typically 100hp outboard motor.
    As far as banning goes the enviormental groups involved have for years outright lied about the polution levels produced and they continue to do so.The E.P A. study that was done during the Clinton admin. showed polution levels far bellow what other groups claimed. Gore's office quietly shelved the study and asked EPA to do it again ,same result. You can read it on their website at least it used to be there.
    What is perhaps the funniest part is that the companies are producing more and more 4stroke machines which are amazingly quiet and very clean. When presented with this the tree huggers still want a ban thereby contradicting themselves on the polution and noise issues!!! It is obvious they want the woods all to themselves and that is what thier real goal is. In Yellowstone sleds are only allowed to be used on the roads that cars travel on in the summer.
    I'm not disagreeing with ME on his lake problem at all but these other groups should have streets named after them "one way". Even if after examinig all the issues you guys still hate sleds keep a few things in mind. Most of these groups also hate your boat, motorcyle and your wifes SUV . Now if you have a diesel pick up or service van your really on thier hit list when they get through with sleds. Some don't even like your Barbecue grill!

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    watertoys

The only difference between a snowmobile on the water and a jet ski is the snow mobile isn't as manuverable and will probable sink if it stops moving. Both are a pest Here in the northeast where the lakes are too small and the snows too few
  • PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Another reason for the hatred of snowmobiles...and a rant-PJO

How about the tracks that are left behind. They are a constant reminder, and if the sled has gone in illegal territory it's pretty obvious. I agree 100% with your comments on the pollution levels of "play toys" in general...however I must make an exception to your comments on other vehicles. By the way, I used to be an avid snowmobile guy.

As for working trucks, diesel and otherwise, I respect any mechanic/tech/etc who uses this vehicle for his/her livelyhood, but do hold exception to "the wife's SUV". These vehicles are the single biggest reason why this country continues to average less total automobile gas mileage each year. In other words, despite the fact that more efficient cars are built, we use even more gasoline each year because of the ever-expanding love for these oversized, heavilt polluting,gas guzzling status symbols. Did you know that Ford actually increased the weight on the Excursion as it was developed to put it in the "heavy duty" class of trucks - therefore making it free from any mileage guidelines and "gas guzzler" tariffs? Quite frankly, that really irks me. The pollution standards for trucks and SUV's and vans is also less restrictive. Heavy duty trucks (and any truck over about 4,500# IMHO) should be for work only - unless you are the 1% of the population who pulls something that requires them.

I can see (and respect) the use for heavy duty trucks for mechanics and techs...I would be ashamed of myself if I drove a mid-size to monster SUV and did not have to pull or load anything over 5,000 pounds - and that's covers a lot of boats and trailers.

I own a van that seats seven, is ULEV, has more room than 90% of the SUV's on the road, gets 21 mpg mixed and 28 highway, pulls 3,500 pounds and costs less than a mid-size SUV. No it isn't as "pretty" in some people's eyes, but get with it folks - we are polluting and wasting for the benefit of what? Our image?

As the saying goes..."We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Thanks for your time, PJO
  • Joel_3
    Joel_3 Member Posts: 166
    Options
    ok

But sleds leave tracks in the snow which melts leaving no trace unlike a ORV or even a mountain bike or hiker that causes erosion. if you've ever hiked the white mountains you know what I mean. I agree 100% with the large car/ SUV thing . Why a soccer mom needs a Suburban when she has 2 kids ,to go to grocery store I'll never understand! What van do you have that gets that kind of mileage?? My friends have a Villager/quest and only get 18-20 which is what my wife gets with her Montero (yes we tow with it). I looked at the all wheel drive vans but they wheren't very heavy duty and where not rated very high MPG wise.
    The thing that gets me is our houses and commercial biuldings which are 100% energy pigs!! We have laws here on energy efficent construction already in Mass but most of them are simply ignored by the biulding inspectors , it drives me nuts . Imagine what we could save energy wise with better construction, energy crafted houses that we do typically use 35-50% the power of a regular house. Just make that code including on commercial biuldings and enforce it. consumers will have lower energy bills, less damage to the enviorment, less relying on foriegn fuel, and more work for trades people. Everybody wins.

• PJO
    PJO Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Our Van...and house

The van is a 2002 Toyota Sienna. Keep it under 65 on the highway and she gets 28 mpg...and the wife gets 20 driving to work (half highway/traffic). It's also about how you drive of course...coast to the stops and red lights earlier, and don't hammer it when you start. My Civic gets 30 mixed and 38 highway, but the kids complain about the room vs. the van :-)

I agree on the building issue. When we had our home built I drove my wife half-crazy with the heating, A/C, passive solar, off-peak electric, house orientation, etc. I had a bunch of this in mind as we where looking at lots. This is how I first got involved with RFH (installed that and A/C with three guys and me), and have not looked back. Guess what...my house uses about half the utilities of my neighbors...the heat is the largest difference, but the off-peak powering the A/C is also substantial. When I tell my heat pump / furnasty neighbors my bills for heat, elec. and A/C, their jaws drop...plus I'm much more comfortable...makes me proud :-)

On a cold but sunny day, my house stays warm without the boiler running until seven or eight at night. On the hottest month, my electric bill tops out at $130.00, and it ain't cheap around Philly - except off-peak. Yes, it takes some adjusting of lifestyle, but IMHO it's well worth it from an environmental and cost standpoint. What I do is reasonable, the house is a typical design, and still maintains a mix of comfortable living and environmental awareness. Next up...solar HW and maybe heat! That's on the "to do" list for the fall!

Commercial buildings are slowly but surely getting better...this is where the government comes in to "help", and unfortunately our current administration is moving away from this philosophy.

By the way, I am not a registered Democrat. I am mindful of the Earth, that's all. PJO
  • Steve M
    Steve M Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Joel,

Nice job on the pro-sled information. Most snowmobilers are well informed, responsible outdoor types. There are, unfortunately, several idiots out there that insist on doing stupid things like skipping their sled across a lake. Does it pollute the lake? I can almost guarantee there's a rainbow colored oil slick behind that moron. I've ridden the rockies of Colorado for years now and every year our sport is infested with more and more stupid people. They have no reguard for anything other than pleasing themselves at any cost. They ride in wilderness areas, they drink and ride, they ride too fast on the trails, etc. etc. And these lake skipping knuckleheads fit the same mold. They're selfish pigs that will some day ruin all motorized recreation for everyone.
    Any body want to buy a boiler???
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    that last sentence

is precious! Thanks, Murph'.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    My opinion on this.............

ahhhhhhhhhhh............skip it!