Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Code Issue - Electrical outlets over hyd baseboard - T Ritter

Options
Tim Ritter
Tim Ritter Member Posts: 4
Gentlemen -
I have a local code official who is balking at electrical outlets installed over hydronic baseboard. He is basing his issue over the electrical code, which in some cases plainly states electrical baseboard as an issue below electrical outlets, but in some of the verbage, it just says baseboard and does not specifically state electric. I talked with Hot Rod, and he agreed that hydronic was not an issue in this case. But he also suggested that I solicit input from all of you. Have you run into anything like this before, and if so, what was your response? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Tim Ritter, Springfield, MO

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Tim!

I miss you. Nice to see your voice!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    no problem in Chicago

Hey Tim remember me? I am sitting here with Jimmy Dunn in McHenry and we are both laughing out loud! How our you old friend?

To your point...to the best of our collective knowledge it has never been an issue in and around Chicago. As we all know inspectors can take these things and interpret them any way they want so you may have yourself in a little bit of a pickle. Good luck and if that doesn't help send him to Chicago for a few days...we will take care of him for you.

Your friend,

Michael
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Oulet over baseboard

Tim,

To the best of our knowledge, there is not a code that prohibits an outlet over hot water baseboard. This does not mean that there may not be a local code, somewhere, that does so.

Nonetheless, we would urge caution in running the wires that would be connected to that outlet. If the wire would droop into the enclosure, it probably would not be too safe with the wire on the top of the element.

I hope this helps.

Steve Levine

Slant/Fin
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    code officials - my official response

OK, so your local guy doesn't "like" seeing them installed over baseboard (hydronic or otherwise)? No problem - just produce the evidence in writing that states the violation and cites the code passage by number. If they can produce the hard evidence, I'm on board. Otherwise - take a hike. I have little patience with inspectors who attempt to enforce their personal agendas.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tim Ritter
    Options
    Dan!

Hi Dan! It's nice to be remembered! I miss seeing all you guys. Please drop me a line at my home email posted (I'm writing this at work). I'm still alive and kicking, working for an engineering firm. You can take the man out of hydronics, but you can't take the hydronics out of the man. Or something like that...
  • Tim Ritter
    Options
    Mike!

Hey buddy! Nice to hear from you! I will drop you a line later to catch you up on things. Tell Jimmy and the rest of the gang hello for me. I miss you guys!
  • Bill Clinton
    Bill Clinton Member Posts: 75
    Options
    cord over bb

Had the same problem once. It's a bind because the inspector is right; the electrical code does say that. I wound up getting a letter from somebody at the Hydronics Institute and from a bb manufacturer saying its ok and the inspector gave me a pass. He didn't have to, though; he's just doing his job, enforcing what's clearly written in the electrical code.

Bill
This discussion has been closed.