Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quiet power vent boiler (CaliforniaRadiant)

Options
j_4
j_4 Member Posts: 59
here's some of the f.works from last night

Comments

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options

Here in the Bay Area, code says we're not allowed to use an unlined brick chimney if we're installing a new appliance. I'm bidding a job where this is so (you can see the bricks on the inside of the chimney when you pull out the flue); the outside wall is about 15 feet away and want to find a power vented boiler that won't bother the neighbors.

We've used a Viessmann product and it's noisy enough to be bothersome; I've heard good things about the Weil-McLain product, but need some input. Any comments?

We're talking under 100,000 BTU input, natural gas, old cast iron radiators, gravity conversion.

All the best,

Alan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Alan R. Mercurio Member Posts: 588
    Options
    You may have already thought of this

Alan, I'm curious have you considered the possibility of just lining the existing chimney? Just a thought.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio
  • David Sutton_2
    David Sutton_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    chimey liners

have used them on afew and have had good luck with them, but get a good one stainless steal is the best good luck, if your going to use a power venter with oil use a jarlund ss-1 good unit queit too..... David
    Options
    Seems as though

it would cost more to line the chimney than to power vent.

I may be wrong.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Options
    Cost

Ahh cost does have to come into play at times. I have used both power venters and liners successfully I believe it's a matter of preference and sometimes dictated by installations constraints.

I'm not a 100% sure the liner would be more expensive I guess the height and diameter will dictate that. however it's my humble opinion that if the liner were more expensive up front. the longevity of a good stainless steel liner would out weigh the cost factor. Just my 2 cents :)

Alan R. Mercurio
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Alan

I agreee with Alan. I try and line the chimney and use power venting as a last resort. Stainless Steel liners can work ALMOST anywhere. We figure about $ 600.00 for the job and that leaves somthing for us.

Scott

Options
    When you say

liner, do you mean lowering a stainless steel flue down from the top of the chimney? Is that like a stainless steel B vent?

Why not just a regular galvanized B vent?

• Alan R. Mercurio
    Options
    Yes

Yes that is what I was talking about I guess B - Vent would certainly be another option however I don't believe you can run B - Vent through an existing chimney? I could be wrong Alan, my experience is more with oil heating appliances.

Alan R. Mercurio
  • Paul Pollets_2
    Paul Pollets_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Power venters/liners

Alan have you used the Viessmann ECV (now the Vitogas 50) boiler? The external power venters used by Viessmann are made by Tjerland, and yes, they can be noisy. The integral ECV power vent module (Vitogas 50) model is the quietest on the market. 3" SS venting can be run 20ft. with 4 90's. Yes, B-vent can be run inside a chimney as long as it's the only flue or appliance in the chimney.

• John (jcg)
    John (jcg) Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I hav used

A product called Z-Flex with very good results. I would recommend the Stainless (All Fuel) liner but if price is important the Aluminum is an alternative for gas. Here’s the link { http://www.flexmaster.com/zflex/zflepag.htm }

jcg

• David Sutton
    David Sutton Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Galvy pipe.....

there could be to much stack loss and the pipe will condensate and the acid will eat that pipe very quickly a stainless like z- flex lowered down from the top with a shanti cap will work great and look godd plus last longer .... David
  • David Sutton
    David Sutton Member Posts: 82
    Options
    good p--venter 400-500....,30' liner 130 and up

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    boilers w/ power venters

I have used the Burnham 2PV series boilers w/ much success. They are pretty quiet, no wiring to an external motors and have a low profile outside. Buderus now also has a power vented model w/ sealed combustion. It must be pretty good if they are marketing it.Good luck, Kevin C.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    A very quiet power vent (outdoors at least)

Many may think I am nuts, but I installed a Hydrotherm AM-100 multipulse (100,00 btu/hr input natuaral gas condensing boiler) in a church about four years ago with the mufflers and isolation package. The boiler is nearly silent outdoors.... however it makes a lot of noise inside.

Boilerpro
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    All fan inducers are noisy

Yet another option would be to vent a Munchkin with PVC up thru the chimney. Venting up to the roof with an induced appliance would be much more neighbor friendly than blasting decibels out the sidewall. It is usually easy to drop 2 or 3" PVC down a chimney.
    Make sure that chimney does not get used for anything else, however :)

hot rod

• Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    Direct vented boiler

If you are running a low temp system and want not just a quiet but silent, yes silent boiler try the new Viessmann Vitodens boiler. I just installed one and you have to put your hand on the boiler to make sure it is running. Outside is just as quiet!

Michael Bleier
    Able Distributors
    Chicago
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    My 2 cents

Mr Forbes, I have done numerous liner jobs with the flexible stainless liners and have had excellent results with them. The aluminum liners don't last if there's even a hint of condensation. To my humble knowledge, there are no "quiet" aftermarket or add-on type power ventors available.

If you are looking for a quiet, Hi-eff, sidewall vented boiler..... The Vitodens that Viessmann has is unbelievable. You have to be in a totaly silent room or area to hear it. It would never be noticeable to the neighbors unless they put their ear on the exhaust outlet. (Not done usually)

How are things in SF CA??

• j_4
    j_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    sf ca is ok

here's some of the f.works from last night
  • Doug
    Doug Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Field PVO

We have used an inside installed power venter as an aftermarket add-on to our residential oil boiler for 4 winters now with excellent results. So quiet outside you really have to stand next to it to realize it is on and much softer than the boiler inside. It's less expensive than Field's exterior mounted unit (which is much louder to any passerby) and protected from the elements because it is inside. Field makes a version of this power venter for gas boilers, too. Save your chimney for a fireplace and give this a try.
  • Jon Harrod
    Jon Harrod Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Munchkin

We've had good luck with the Munchkin. In my experience, the Munchkin inducer is quieter than the Monitor or the Weil-McLain GV. Since it uses PVC rather than Z-vent or CPVC, the sidewall option is very inexpensive.
  • Doug
    Options

Is Munchkin available for oil or only gas? Can't tell from their website.
  • Alan R. Mercurio
    Options
    Since you asked

I was very fortunate to have met with Mr. Jerry Cook of Heat Transfer Products at this years NAOHSM Convention. First I would like to mention he's a great a guy that knows his product well. He also follows up in a timely manor when asked.

I say this because I needed some data that he did not have handy and he said he would send it to me. In less than a week after the convention I received all the information I had asked for in the mail.

Anyway one of the things we discussed was what you have mentioned here, that being the Munchkin being available in Oil Heat? Jeff did tell me that is something in the works. For more details I would suggest you contact Jeff. He can be reached 1 800 323 9651 I'm confident he will be able to answer your questions.

Alan R. Mercurio
  • Doug
    Options

Thanks for the tip.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    Vitodens pic

For those of you still reading this string I wanted to post a pic of the Vitodens boiler in my showroom. As I stated earlier it is silent, sealed combustion fully modulating. Check it out...
  • Matt Connolly
    Matt Connolly Member Posts: 67
    Options
    the quietest powervented boiler

is the Monitor MZ series. The 25C would easily handle the heat load and the unit is as quiet as a new refrigerator. it can be vented up to 100 feet, or a few inches thru a wall. Go to www.mzboiler.com for more info.
    Matt
This discussion has been closed.