Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

the psychology of success - leo g

Options
leo g_2
leo g_2 Member Posts: 1
Before I left the wall, about a month ago (personnal reasons), I got into the pricing debate with a lot of you guys. Some supported my stand, others did not, and still others tried to show me my REAL worth.

I have been at this busy-ness now for almost eight years, during which time, the rest of North America was booming, my little part of the world was recessing. I got into the psychology of pricing my jobs to get work, even if it meant that I was working for wages only. There is a mortgage to pay, a family to feed, all the things that we as individuals know so well these days.

Well now the tables are finally turning. My little part of this world is actually in a growth spurt. I have priced more then 6 plumbing jobs and 7 plumbing and heating jobs alone in the last 3 weeks. I have taken on a partener, we are going through the process of setting up the new busy-ness right now.

All is milk and honey right now, yet I still have problems pricing the jobs to a fair price for me, my family and my partener! I do a quote, all full of steel to charge what is right, then after getting it on paper, the doubt rises. "Does the customer think that I am only ripping him off?" "Man, do you really think that you are worth that amount?" etc.

I take a pause, grit my teeth, then think of ME's last post to me, especially about my children's needs, and send out the quote as originally priced. Funny thing is, I have already lost 2 of my long standing builders. "TO damn expensive!" yet in the last 3 months, I have been getting calls from new to me builders, some that I have been recommended to, who think that my pricing is very fair!

Life is a sweet mystery!

The ramifications of getting used to undervaluing your worth is staggering. To feel guilty about wanting to be able to give your family a decent life is debillitating.

I still will price low cost heating systems for the "right" people, for that is something that is part of me.

But to think that I may actually be able to afford to take off and spend time with my family, or better yet, DESERVE to take time off and spend it with my family, to see that maybe I will be able to afford college, or university should one of the boys desire, etc. is something that is still hard to fathom.

" A frog was stuck in a rut, in the street. His family pleaded with him to jump out. "I cannot for the rut is to deep!" Slowly one by one they left him, thinking that they had seen the last of him. They were amazed in the morning to see him sauntering along towards home. They rushed out crying, to greet him. his mother questioned him, "son, how did you get out?"

"A Ford Truck came down the road!!!!"

leo g

Comments

This discussion has been closed.